Receiver to match Axioms...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt Amato, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Matt Amato

Matt Amato Stunt Coordinator

So me and my roomates have a relatively cheap surround sound setup with some old JBLs for center and surrounds and a pair of half decent cheap Polk towers for fronts. We have a low-end Kenwood receiver that's starting to die. Within the next 6 months, I plan on upgrading to a 5.1 Axiom setup, including M60ti for fronts, QS8 rears, a VP150 center and a pci 20-39 svs. If our receiver continues to die, however, I'll be upgrading to a new receiver even sooner. I've been looking at the Harman Kardon receivers, and have a strong desire to purchase one. I have two questions though, 1) Will the HK match the axiom models I've chosen well and 2) I don't want to by an underpowered or overpowered recevier for these speakers. Without taking price into account, which HK model do you think will match this setup the best? (remembering I don't want to waste money on something thats overpowered)

Matt

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Not really familiar with the lastest HK offerings, but I have read that Axiom tests their speakers using a Denon 3805 receiver. FWIW

Mort

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

HK matches well with Axiom speakers. If you go to the Axiom Forums and or post a question, they will often recommend HK as a good fit with their product line. Axioms tend to be bright or detailed so a warm receiver like HK, Pioneer Elite or the 1014TX, Onkyo, NAD would be a good fit. I haven't heard Denon enough to characterize their sound.

4. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Contemplating the same speaker purchase with the Denon 3805, but also curious how an Outlaw or Rotel pre/pro set would sound with the speakers. Anyone? [​IMG]

5. kyleGR

kyleGR Extra

I have an older Denon 1705 ...being that I am quite a novice in this game. Would I be running enough power to mate it with a pair of Axiom M40's??

6. Matt Amato

Matt Amato Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm heavily leaning towards getting an HK avr235. It has the features I want/need. My only concern would be the power department? Does it put out enough juice to run these speakers well? Or should I looke to changing around my budget to put more money into a receiver (and possibly less in the speakers)

Matt

7. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Put your highest dollar priority in the speakers. The 235 looks like it should drive the M60's OK and you could always add an external amp for the mains in the future. Personally, I'd try to find a way to do both the speakers and a receiver with a little more horsepower at the same time but I don't think you'll be disappointed going with your choices. The Axiom 60's are pretty efficient speakers.

Mort