Receiver - to go with Paradigm Mini's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stephen_Rob, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Stephen_Rob

Stephen_Rob Stunt Coordinator

What is a good reveiver to go with paradigm minni monitors.
    I was thinking about the Denon 1803, H/K 325, Marantz 5300 or Yamaha rx v640. I am not sure which one to get. any help would be appreciated.

2. Stephen_Rob

anyone

3. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

They are all really great receivers. Pretty much anyone will do perfectly. They all have ample power, are built well, and have a lot of features. Other than you listening to the receivers, your best bet is making sure the receiver you choose has the feautres and connections you need now and in the future. For instance, the Denon, H/K, and Marantz do not have preamp outputs, is that a problem now or in the future? Things like this could eliminate some choices for you.

I have the RX-V640 if you have any specific questions on that piece.

Good luck,
    Lee

4. Stephen_Rob

Thanks lee

I have heared that it is underpowered. is this true. Right now it is my first choice because of the price but i was afraid of the underpowered issue.

5. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Hmm...not real sure about the underpowered issue. I have heard plenty of the other receivers mentioned, but have never owned one, so I don't really have good hands on experience.

I do know that I am currently running my receiver in stereo mode as I did with my last receiver. My old Pioneer was rated at 150 x 2 in stereo mode and my Yammie is 85 x 2. The Yammie sounds like the numbers should be reversed. Seriously.

C-Net recently reviewed the 740, which is 90 watts per channel and they had this to say...

The main heading said, "Despite its relatively low power rating, this beauty offers solid build quality, sweet sound, and plenty of oomph."

For The Bad they said, "Sound falls short of that of the very best receivers." Which doesn't sound like a bad thing. I paid $440 for my unit, and if it almost sounds as good as the best receivers, then what is the problem? LoL...

As far as pertaining more towards the power issue, this is interesting..."Numbers aside, we were really impressed with this receiver's ability to maximize performance with difficult-to-drive, low-impedance speakers. The V740's conservative 90-watt-per-channel power rating deserves a closer look. Most competing models' power ratings are based on the use of speakers with the most-benign load: 8 ohms of electrical resistance. Some receiver user manuals even recommend steering clear of 4-ohm speakers. The problem is that in real life, no speaker--not even one rated at 8 ohms--offers steady resistance. It dips and rises. The V740 addresses that reality by producing higher-than-average current output. So the V740 isn't afraid of drops to 6 ohms or even 4 ohms--it can deliver short-term 190-watt peaks into 4-ohm speakers. That's impressive performance for a $599 receiver."

More on the review here

I definately have no complaints over my purchase. I felt this was the best receiver in the price range. It had comparable build quality and sound to other units, but offered more features and was either the same price or less.

One thing I noticed about the Denon and Onkyo units that I was taking a look at, is that they sure show a lot of finger prints. LoL...

6. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

If your speakers are low impedance, then the HK would be best. Otherwise, they are all good choices and it comes down to personal preference.

7. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

8. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

That H/K sure does have preouts, I was thinking of the 225 for some reason, since it is in the price range of the others. Now that I've come to my senses, I would definately take the H/K! I would have too, if only I could spend that kind of cash.

9. Craig_Kg

The Marantz has preouts, the Denon and the Yamaha doesn't.

10. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Have you looked at the refurbished Marantz receivers. The prices on them are great.

11. Mark Ro

Mark Ro Agent

I have the Marantz 6200 and couldn't be happier. Actually the upgraditis bug has bit, and based on my experience with the 6200 I'm thinking of selling it and upgrading to the 8200(as long as my wife won't kill me [​IMG] ). Before I bought the 6200 I had the HK 220 and the Onkyo SR600. The Marantz n my opinion sounds better, and the source direct mode is great.

12. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

The Yammie has preouts because I have it and plan on using them. I was pretty sure the Marantz didn't cause I took it out of the running for that, or was it componenet video ins/outs? I can't remember.

13. Craig_Kg

Gee, we get dudded out down here again with our versions [​IMG] .
    I'm sure the MArantz 5300 has preouts but not component switching.

14. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Deno just came out with the 1804 90 w X6 but otherwise similar to the 1803 (80W x6). I would expect the price of the 1803 to take a nose dive and be a great great deal.

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would say I am a Marantz guy [​IMG]. I bought my g/f an SR4000, I just sold my 6200, had a 6300 as a loaner for a few days, recommended, setup and calibrated a 5200 for a friend, now own a PM7000 and 8300.

In terms of power, all of those mentioned are fairly equal. The assessment of Yamaha sounds about right to me, always have great power, but I have never been entirely fond of their sound. H/K has both bases covered, but I don't like the way they look. The lower Denons sound flat to me with music, it's not until you get to the 48xx and 58xx that I feel they really shine.

As a long time Paradigm owner, including Minis, I would have to say that Marantz is a very good match for the Monitor series. They can be a tad on the bright side at the top end, so the warmer nature of the Marantz amp section seems to compliment the 'digms well (H/K should do much the same).

For the past year, I have been running Monitor 5s with the 6200, and the combination has been very good to say the least. Now that I picked up the 8300, I am searching for my next speakers, and the v3 Studios were high on my list.

As recommended above, you might consider a used 6200 or even a 6300. The extra power is worth it a little extra $$.

16. Stephen_Rob

Thanks for all the help. I think i will go with the marantz.
    I live in canada so i don't think the online deals will work out the same here. What would be a good price in canada for the marantz 5300?

17. Steve_Wingman

Hey I have a Yamaha RXV 496 with Monitor 9's up front, and can sit in my back yard listening to clean sound! Yamaha must under rate the power output or post RMS levels on their amps. The only advice that I have is the more inputs the better, the 496 that I have will have to be upgraded if I get another digital output device (SACD, DVDA) Yamaha is not a bad choice.
    -Steve

18. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Stephen,

I have the Paradigm Reference line, and have powered them with numerous receivers and amps.... Parasound seemed to be the best match as far as amps go. As far as receivers, I liked what the Denon's amps did for the speakers. It gave them a warm,rich enveloping sound....

Are there any dealers around you that will let hook up a few different amp sources, so you can hear for yourself.... This choice is very subjective, and your ears might prefer a certain combo..
    Good Luck....

19. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I have Paradigm Mini-monitors running of a Marantz sr5300. The sound is quite nice. I auditioned the speakers thoroughly against competition, I bought the marantz based on reviews, and seemed better than the Pioneer elite, and those were the two contenders my dealer carried, so I just went with the marantz to keep things simple, rather than doing in-home demos from a bunch of different dealers and all that jazz. I really like the marantz, no component switching, which is irrelevant to me, it does have pre ins/outs for sure. It does not have a phono stage, if that's important. If i ever get LP going, i'll get a separate phono stage anyway. The binding posts could be a little better. The remote is pretty cheesy but it gets the job done and doesnt eat batteries like crazy.

You get the idea i'm nitpicking on the marantz... there isn't much wrong with it. the sound is great, and I'm sure any of these units would suffice with the mini-monitors (which are great at their price, good choice). If you have marantz-specific questions, i'm sure I could answer, so while I can't recommend the marantz over any of the other units because I've not personally compared them, based on reviews, I'd choose the H/K or the Marantz over the yamaha.