What's new

Receiver to drive my Paradigms (1 Viewer)

Michael_V

Second Unit
Ever since upgrading my speakers to Paradigm Monitor 7.2s, my old Sony 30ES has, at 80W, felt underpowered. My speakers seem . . . well, bored with it. I have not shopped for a receiver in years but here are some things I am looking for:

* good match for the paradigms
* 100W +
* only need 5.1 channels for the foreseeable future
* would like but do not need DPL II

Can anyone recommend a receiver to me?

Thanks!
Mike

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
HK does well with Paridigms. I know a Paridigm dealer who also sells Sony ES and HK, he wont demo Paridigms on Sony ES only on HK. I have personaly seen a Sony ES shut down trying to push a 11SE (not sure of exact model number) a floor standing model 2 sevens I think. . .

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how "true" that 80 watts is on the Sony, but it seems like you need an external amp than a new receiver. You can spend 3 grand on a receiver and only get 120 wpc. I'm not too familiar with amps, so maybe someone will chime in their opinion.

mike_doyle

Agent
I agree... H/K sound great with Paradigms.. (Thats what I have).. Denon and Yamaha Sound fantastic with Paradigms for HT. The H/K is a little more musical.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Thanks for the quick replies!

So far I am hearing that Yamaha and HK do well with Paradigms and Sony ES does not! Any particular models I should be looking at?

Michael_V

Second Unit
Just got in on the HK avr8000 deal at onecall. Cool. The Sony ES goes in the bedroom now. Thanks!

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I know you already bought an HK, great!

HK does well with Paridigms.
I love HK, and will probably never own any other brand reciever. But I am wondering if my HK 110 and Paradigm 7 combo is the best, since my 7's seem to have a lot of hisss from the tweter. I haven't hooked them up to another amp, but I am thinking the HK + paradigm combo might by my issue. It's really not a big deal since I turn down the treb a little, just thought I would mention it.

I don't know if other people have experienced the same thing with the combo. I'm sure your 8000 with do great.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Well, with all the issues people are having with these Jan 2002 HKs from onecall, and the significant problems I am having getting something this heavy delivered to my overseas address, I am cancelling my order.

So now it's back to the drawing board! What is the best receiver I can get to drive my Paradigms?

Revised criteria:

* 110 W or greater
* DPL II
* good match for Paradigms
* $1000-$2000 range

I have heard that Yamaha and Denon sound good with these. Any particular models stand out? I will be using this 60% for movies and 40% for music.

Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz SR7300. Marantz/Paradigm is about as good a match as H/K&Paradigm :) Personally, I never met a Yamaha that I really liked.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
One option could be getting an Outlaw 950/710 combo. I'm sure this would outperform any receiver in the sub $2000 price range. The combo would be around $1700 I would guess, but you would have to wait a couple months for the 710 amp to become available.

Michael_V

Second Unit
David,

I like the separates idea, though am thinking of something a little warmer, like the Parasound 1205. No idea if my 30ES even has pre-outs. Will have to look into that. If not, any suggestions for a quality pre pro?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I couldn't tell you if there are any issues with the x300 line from Marantz because I have yet to even see/hear one in person. I am anxiously waiting for my local dealers to get them in so I can give one a listen, as I'm looking to pick up one myself. It has all of the current formats, and should do just fine in 5.1 as well, as well as DPL II and CS6.1 (Circle surround ver 2). I have a 6200 right now, but I am looking to get a few updated features with the 7300. I am otherwise very happy with the sound and power of the 6200 (driving Monitor 5s, CC370, rear: Titans, CC170).

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe an intermediate step?

I'm using a Denon 3802 (new version 3803) with Monitor 7's: no power problems that I can discern. You can then later add some separates for the mains if you'd like.

jdg

Michael_V

Second Unit
After scouring this forum and avsforum, I am quickly becoming sold on the separates approach. The Parasound 1205 five channel amp in particular is appealing to me right now. Wish I could combine it with my 30ES since I do like its sound, but I don't think it has pre-outs. What would you guys recommend for a pre-pro? I have heard a lot about the Lexicon DC-1. Actually, this sounds like another thread already. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks