What's new

Receiver to drive bass shakers and be source? (1 Viewer)

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible to have your receiver drive bass shakers and be the source for external amps? IE I have a 5 channel external amp, but am wondering if I get a receiver instead of a pre/pro (such as the HK520) can I use its internal amps to drive bass shakers? I know there are two zones, main-ins, and LPF crossover issues here, and simply have no clue if this would work or not!

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
Sure. I got a Kenwood VR-6070 a couple of weeks ago and have its two back surround pre-outs connected to my old 5.1 receiver, used now just as a stereo amp, and its 6th channel amp connected to two bass shakers. There's no place for me to add equalization for the shakers, but I don't want to do that anyway.

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
I know I can use it as a separate amp, but how do I use it WHILE its the source? IE I need one of the 5 regular channels to run an LFE signal.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Yep, this can be done, as the HK 520 has main amp ins.

You would hook all sources up to the 520, and run the 5 pre-outs to your 5 channel amp for the mains and surrounds etc. The sub out would then be split (Use a y-splitter) and run to both your active sub, and back in to one (or more - more y-splitters) of your 520's main ins. The shakers can then be run off the speaker terminals of the appropriate channels on the 520. If you wish, equalization for the shakers and an additional xover (May be needed to eliminate sound seeping through the couch) or whatever can be added before going in to the main ins on the 520.

Ahhh, the use of the main ins - wake up all you receiver manufacturers (Including H/K!) they are a useful addition! (My new NAD T752 which I am hopefully picking up today only has main-ins on the front 3 channels, but it's better than nothing!)

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm no longer sure I understand your question. I think the answer is yes. The "it" you're talking about is the receiver you would get instead of a preprocessor, right? In my example, that's my VR-6070, which is doing the preprocessing, sending some of it's signals to an external amp (that's my old receiver), but using its own amp for the sub signal. The 6070 sends that amplified signal to the bass shakers.

[Edit: Oh. After reading Jonathan's reply, I understand the question better. The arrangement I described makes use of a feature of my receiver that you wouldn't know about or, probably, be interested in. I don't have to somehow route the sub signal back into the receiver for amplification. The 6070 allows me to simply designate the sub signal as the one to be amplified.]

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
Jonathan, thanks!

1) I've never used shakers before, so what should I know about sound seeping through the couch? This is an apartment setup, so I was hoping to keep slightly more bass feel without turning up my sub as loud by getting shakers. Would 80Hz be too high (the LFE preout)? Obviously, I wouldn't have equalization with this setup.

2) HK doesn't have main-ins on their new line, and they added fans! Even though the better bass management on the 525 is appealing, the 520 has some advantages.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hey Derrick,

I've used an 80Hz 4th order lowpass and it's fine. Not sure if a 2nd order (likely on the 520) would be sufficient, but you can't tell till you give it a go (I'll try tonight if I get my new NAD T752 today :).

Agreed with the advantages of the 520 - plus the biggest current advantage - they're old news, and therefore can be picked up cheaper.

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
If the 525 had no fan and included main-ins, I'd get it for the extra $200.

Let me know how it goes. What model shakers do you use? Looks like Aura Pro are relatively cheap?

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Shakers are the el cheapo's. They are likely 25W unit from Aura. They come out of the interactor vests. I'm just using the amps that came with them which are plenty. I have 2 mounted in the rear of the seated portion of a Lazyboy - gives a nice good shake when it needs to, but doesn't even move in the low level scenes. The key to shakers is to use em subtlely. (Although it is fun to turn them up when visitors come to watch a movie :)

One thing you may need to add, is additional attenuation (or gain) between the LFE out and the shaker. You will have no other way of controlling the amount of shake otherwise.

On actual fact you do have some control - in the LFE level control on the 520. You may have to alter that to get the movement you want out of the shakers, then alter your sub level on the sub to compensate. It will depend on how much gain your sub has compared to the H/K. If you just need to turn the shake down, then a simple pot can be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks