Receiver to complement my Denon 2200 dvd player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chad Viro, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Chad Viro

Chad Viro Stunt Coordinator

Hello All:
    Well, I finally got my denon 2200 dvd player to replace my 3-5 year old toshiba model! I am going to be in the market for a reciever soon and I was wondering if everyone could offer their advise as to which receiver would complement this dvd player? Currently I do not have any speakers. A friend from these boards recommended two models, however I would like to hear what everyone else thinks!

Take care and have a safe and enjoyable holiday!

2. John S

John S Producer

Mid level? or High level?
    Price range?

On the extreme limited budget, an Onkyo SR501 from ecost for like $180 is hard to beat. 6.1, and component video switching, and still has a very high end sound.

On the high end still with a still somewhat limited budget, the deal many on here got from 6ave on the Denon 3803 for like $640 shipped is almost to good to be true even.

There are quality recievers from Harmon Kardon, Denon, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo, and many others, that are fillings peoples HT and Music needs quite nicely.

You will get suggestions for all of them, in nearly any group of music and ht enthusiests.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, price range is a small detail you neglected...

4. Chad Viro

Hello and thanks for the feedback!
    Sorry about not including a budget: I suppose I am in the 500-1000 range. To be honest, I am not sure if I will be listening to a lot of music on the system (more than likely, I will only be watching movies, etc). Not sure if this can help narrow down my options.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated, take care everyone!

5. John Garcia

John
    Denon 2803 or 3803 (should be replaced by the x804 soon), Marantz SR7400, Harman Kardon 7200 or 630. The Onkyo SR800 is on clearance at most places right now, as is the NR900 as new models are coming out soon.

6. Chad Viro

Being a HT nooob, what exactly will these new models offer that these current models dont have?

7. Chad Viro

Sorry for the double-post:

I called 6ave and the price for the denon 3803 is currently 699(pricematched against the 3802). Can you haggle with 6ave, or are they pretty set on their prices?

8. John Garcia

John
    699 is almost half price of a new one, so I wouldn't bother haggling. For the price, it is probably your best choice.

The newer models will likely have some additional processing that may or may not be important to you, but since the only significant introduction this late in the year is DPLIIx, there may not be any major changes aside from the inclusion of that.

9. Chad Viro

Thanks, John. I really appreciate the advice and information!