Receiver TERMinologies

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ronneil Camara, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys. At last, after 1 month of auditioning different receivers and posting/reading questions/answers to forum, I finally went with Yamaha RX-V1400. MSRP is $799 and I got it for $608. Luckilly, I got a "Welcome to the Neighborhood coupon discount. Anyways, I am new to home theaters and want to really get into speed with it. I have read lots of post but still gets confused with terms used by people. What does crossover mean? Such as this , "cross my sub over at 80hz". And another one like this, "I used my receiver as pre-out(front), amp(rear). What does this words mean? Thanks in advance.

2. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

High pass or low pass Crossover? [​IMG]

What a crossover does, in layman's terms is remove part of the audio spectrum sent to a particular speaker. So lets say you have your sub crossed-over at 50hz. What this means is that you eliminate all of the sound above 50hz sent to your sub... so only sound below 50hz will be comming from your sub. Your subwoofer is designed for low frequencies, so it's not really doing much good to send 20khz stuff to it. They were probably refering to the built in crossover most receivers use, removing all high frequency stuff from your subwoofer, and depending how it's set up removing all the low frequency stuff from all other speakers. That was probably more confusing then it should have been [​IMG]

A pre-out on a receiver is an RCA jack on the rear that carries a particular channel's information at line-level instead of powered. When he says he's using pre-outs on the front he's probably taking the left and right channels and sending them to a seperate amplifier that powers his front two speakers, and uses the built in amp in the receiver to power the surrounds.

3. Ronneil Camara

Is there a really dramatic change in the quality of sound when using an amplifier or does it just allow us to louder the sound or make the sound stronger?

4. John S

John S Producer

Well you will also hear the term Reference Levels. To me at least this means nearly 120db sustained. When a reciever has 5-6-7 power amps all pushing the power needed to do this all off of one power supply, recievers can either begin to struggle, and / or are just out of headroom at this point.

Sound is about headroom, not just sheer volume, the more headroom the better, good quality separates generally have more headroom and thus sound better, less strained, and more dynamic.

I use a Denon 4802 and do not detect any sort of headroom issues until well beyond reference volume by the way.

5. Ronneil Camara

6. John S

John S Producer

Ronneil, how tall are you cielings?? That is probably considered a medium to large room.

The efficiency of your speakers will play a large part in power requirements.

Is your goal to be able to sustain reference / theater levels in it?

If so, I think as an example a Denon 3803 level reciever would just pull it off with efficient speakers.

A 4803 level would pull it off, a 5800 would handle it with ease no matter what speakers your using.

I use Denon as the example because I am most experienced with them, as most of my more serious HT friends and myself own and use them.

On separate amps, 6 high quality 75w mono blocks would handle with ease given even moderate speaker effiniency.

I hope this helps, others may chime in with different opinions, but this is what I have seen and read of when people are doing dedicated HT rooms.

I use my living room as my HT room by the way, but when you go to a theater, take note on how loud the quite parts are, and just how intensly loud the loud parts are. If that is your goal in your HT, then headroom / clarity at those levels, requires some serious investment.

I must also admit, that even though that was my achieved goal, I don't use that capability all that much. The loudest I use ends up being just below that sort of level, real loud is quite a bit below that level, and in normal veiwing like news and normal TV fodder is prbably not even quite half of what I will call theater levels.

I don't know if any of this has really helped you or not though.... lol Good luck with your system!!

7. John S

John S Producer

Ooops PS: Also where are your proposed seating positions?

8. Ronneil Camara

>how tall are you cielings??

The height of ceiling is at 6'6".

>Is your goal to be able to sustain reference / theater levels in it?

I don't know what you meant by this. Sorry.

>Also where are your proposed seating positions?
    Sitting position would be 12ft to 13ft away from the tv.

Actually, I have another 320 degrees screemshot(I used photostich for this pic). Btw, I couldn't decide where to really place the hdtv. Previously, I had the tv situated across where it is sitting right now. I also don't know if the main circuit breaker will affect quality of the sound. here it is, http://restricted.dyndns.org/basement.jpg

Also, I was lucky to get this house since the basement has been professianally finished. I was scrutinizing the walls last night and found a pink fiber like foam behind the drywall. I don't know if it is for sound proof or vapor barrier. [​IMG]

9. John S

John S Producer

Your sound volume? How loud do you want it to be?

At theaters you pay to watch movies at, sustained volume levels are very loud and require some serious investment to obtain at home, the larger the room / more ineffient the speakers, the more headroom, thus power is needed.

You cielings are low, that makes this a medium sized room, I think you would be fine with a reciever, even some sub $1000 models.

My room is like 20' by 30' with 10' cielings, I bought a Denon 4802 and use JBL s38's with a Velodyne 15" sub, and have a decent amount of headroom left when at theater volume levels. I felt I just would not have enough headroom with any lesser, but now see'n how little I actually use those levels, I think a Denon 3802/3 would have probably been enough, but I do have headroom to burn with the 4802 so to speak, and that does equate to better audio even at lower levels.

10. Ronneil Camara

Probably not to loud but enough to shake my heart. Anyways, it's my first time connecting a monster fiber optic cable. I got it from Tweeter. I am worried that I might break the connector. Does it have to snap when I connect it in? Coz right now, I can easily remove the cable and it's not secure. It's totally different when removing the fiber optic covers wherein this one, it snaps. Thanks.

11. Ronneil Camara

Btw, here are more details.

I am just wondering why it's kinda loose. I can easily pull the cable using just 2 fingers and off it go as compared to the fiber optic cover I removed. The cover when I return it, I hear a snap. I have a screenshot here of the cable connected to my sony dvd player. With this, you guys will be able to tell me if I haven't secured it yet. Please look at these screenshots. Btw, same thing goes to the other end which is my receiver.

http://restricted.dyndns.org/opticcable1.jpg

and

http://restricted.dyndns.org/opticcable2.jpg

Please help. [​IMG]

12. John S

John S Producer

It looks in to me, if it works, it is fine really.

13. Ronneil Camara

How come when I pull the cable, I feel it as if it's not connected? Thanks.

14. John S

John S Producer

I am not the best here, I have never used Monster optical cable. I can't remember how they felt, and I just recently moved all my components. It does seem I have run into this in the past though, really as long as it works.

15. Ronneil Camara

Yeah, it works. You're right. But I am thinking of returning it to Tweeter and rather get a coaxial cable. I've heard that both perform the same. Any comments?

16. John S

John S Producer

Close enough to the same to call it even in my book....

I use all optical, but for no real reason, because I definetly don't think one is any better than the other.

17. Ronneil Camara

Btw guys, my optical cable is ok now. I brought my player and the monster cable at Tweeter. The guy also thought that it was not compatible. After trying and trying, the optical port on my dvd player got divirginized. [​IMG] So I came back home and divirginized my Yamaha RXV1400. Hehehe.

18. John S

John S Producer

Yes, virgins can require more initial force and some repettitive insertion for comfortable fit.. :)