What's new

Receiver suggestions (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
HK AVR-635, Denon AVR-3805, Yamaha RXV-2500. All have pretty similar feature sets, HK rated lowest power but don't be fooled as they rate quite conservatively compared to other makes. HK has the best auto-eq in the price class and excellent sound. Denon is highly regarded by many, and Yamaha are bullet proof for reliability.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to audition the rotel rsx1056,its 1,300. retail but you may find on at a discount.

yeah i know about Yamaha bullet proof reliability. I have had a Yamaha receiver for about 8 years now, and it works like the day i bought it. just the fact that it is a pro logic receiver with 5.1 inputs( without the.1 no sub input)makes me want to update it. Are all the choices a good replacement for the Yamaha RX-V2090.

Daman

Second Unit
You may want to add Marantz SR7500 as well. You can check out an older thread where i was in the same position as you are and had shortlisted the marantz,hk 635 and denon 3805.. ended up with the marantz. I also own a Yamaha 5790(RXV1400) and Marantz is much better than Yamaha in almost all areas.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Good to mention.. Because on paper the Yamaha 5890 sure looks like a winner. I have been wanting to audition one, I mean, that is one bad mammajamma pre/pro section, and I see them under $600.....

Isn't the 5890 like their flagship model right now? not super familure with the Yamaha line. Just noticed for the money, it seems like it would be an amazing deal.

Daman

Second Unit
John,
Im not sure theres a 5890 model? Probably they introduced it this year? If you meant 5790 itsead then yes thats their top of the line reciever in HTR series. The reciever is pretty good value for money actually and i was very happy with it(still am) for the price i got it at.

It goes for 800 at BB but is available at prices you mention from online dealers. Marantz and the H/K though- specifically the models i mentioned,are leaps ahead of this one(they cost more too) Kind of make me felt i had a whole new set of speakers :) Both musically and movie wise..

But you cant go wrong with the Yamaha in terms of quality if thats your budget. Have owned 3 yamaha recievers over the last 2 years, loved them all. Best choice is to get them all and audition them yourself to decide.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

The RX-Z9 is the current flagship model. It's out of my league at a list of $4999!!!!!! (Currently available on eBay for a little over $3000)

I have a DSP-A1/TX-950 combo that I bought new in 1998. The DSP-A1 is starting to act up: no sound when powered up, I have to turn it off and on a few times to get sound. I'm debating having it fixed vs buying a refurbed RX-V2500.

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
you can check out the pioneer elite models. you should be able to get a great deal on a close out save soem dough.
i purschased in the past a pioneer elite which was a close out and marked down alomst half price to around a grand. i took this over the denon which was the same price. the unit was amazing and i never had a problem with it in the 3 years of owning it. the only reason i sold it was to help pay for the new pre-pro and amp.
frank

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
I would get the HK AVR-635 with kind of budget. Not familiar with Denon but compared to Yamaha and Pioneer, I would pick HK. Don't go buy it at retail. Buy it online at jr.com it's lot cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks