Receiver Suggestions - With Component Video Switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff Meyers, May 18, 2005.

1. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

I'm in the market for a new receiver with component video switching capability. I'm looking for at least 2 (preferably 3) component video inputs and 2 component video outputs. I want to be able to switch between sources and have the ability to output to my RPTV (daytime viewing) or to my FP (nighttime viewing).

The RPTV will be located within 6' to 8' of the A/V rack and I am running only a component cable to the FP (30' run). The receiver needs to be able to upconvert all video inputs to component video for the FP.

My budget is in the $400 to $500 street price range.

I have been considering the Pioneer VSX-1015 or the Onkyo TX-SR602 as both have 3 component video inputs but only one component video output / monitor.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this even possible (in my price range)? How are others handling switching sources between 2 TV's / monitors?

Thanks!

2. John S

John S Producer

I switch with my Denon 4802...

The Pioneer 1015 does have three, it may be the strongest in your price range.

The Yamaha 5890 has caught my eye lately as well, not sure if it has three or not though.

3. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

May I suggest the Denon AVR-1705. I use it and is a great little budget receiver.

4. brendy

brendy Agent

I don't know of any receivers in your range that have 2 component outputs.I got the 602 a month ago.I'm very pleased with it.Excellent performance & build quality.

5. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations John, Michael, & Brendy.

I have done some additional research (CV = Component Video):

Denon 4802 - couldn't find specs or pricing.
    Pioneer 1015 - 3 CV in & 1 CV out
    Yamaha 5890 - 2 CV in & 1 CV out.
    Denon 1705 - 3 CV in & 1 CV out.
    Onkyo 602 - 3 CV in & 1 CV out.

The Pioneer 1015, Yamaha 5890, and Denon 1705 all upconvert Composite and S-Video to CV. The Onkyo 602 only upconverts Composite to S-Video.

I have not been able to find any receivers with more than 1 CV out. I'm thinking that they don't exist, or are prohibitively expensive. If this is the case, then how should I connect my sources to 2 displays (if I want CV for both - especially DVD)?

Another aspect I noted today in my research is CV bandwidth. What should I be looking for in bandwidth as a minimum and as an ideal? CV Bandwidths:

Pioneer 1015 - 100MHz
    Yamaha 5890 - 60MHz
    Denon 1705 - 100MHz
    Onkyo 602 - 50MHz

Any additional suggestions, recommendations, and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

6. John S

John S Producer

50mhz min. higher is better, but 50mhz gets the job done....

I've never delt with displays....

The Denon 4802 is quite a few years old now.