Receiver Suggestions please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Connor, Jan 10, 2003.

1. David Connor

David Connor Auditioning

I am looking to update my very old Pioneer Receiver, that is close to 8 years old. I have updated my speakers and now am looking at getting a new receiver to complete my upgrade....for now. Here is my current system:

TV Hitachi 43UWX10B
    Old Pioneer Reciever
    Speakers:
    Center Polk CS400i
    Mains Polk RT35i
    Surrounds Polk f/x 300i
    Sub. Sony SA-WM40
    Pioneer Pro. Scan DVD
    Pioneer 6 Disc CD Changer
    Sony VL6000 Universal Remote

I would say we use the system close to 50% HT and 50% music/DirecTV. DTS is NOT that big of deal, 5.1 works for me.

I am leaning toward the HK520. Any other suggestions? Price range is less than $500.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It's very important to get a receiver than can switch HD video and audio. Follow the links in this thread to find the receiver comparison chart and another thread on external HD video switchers.
    Good luck.

3. JamesKr

JamesKr Agent

I don't know much about HK's but they are highly regarded around here. For less than $500 you could also try the Onkyo SR600. It is supposed to be able to switch HD video with 50 MHz switching rate, supports Dolby EX, boasts 80 watts per channel, and has 6.1 surround capability. Honestly, I was going to buy the SR600 but I raised my price level to get more features and went with the Denon 3803.

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I am not sure why HD video switching is important in a receiver...

The only time that will be important in most cases is when you have more than 2 hd capable sources, and most people dont have that...and most receivers in your price range will only add one to the total in, to 3....and if you only have 2, you are better off connecting directly from source to tv...

Rich

5. David Connor

David Connor Auditioning

Thank you Bob for pointing this out...I was unaware of this...since my last receiver purchase so much has changed...
    So this is what I understand so far:

I would run my DVD video and PS2 through my receiver? I SEE....which would give me a better picture?

Hmmm so since I will be getting a HDTV decoder soon, I will have 3 HD video sources that need run through my receiver for best picture.

Too bad I don't have 3 grand to drop on a receiver..Hmmm I guess the 2 inputs will have to do for know.

So from looking at that chart...How do you read the Decodings column?

So looks like my options are:

Pioneer VSX-D811S $475
    6 x 100

DD & DD Ex
    DTS & DTS ES
    DPL & DPL II

Does this mean that is decodes in all these formats??

Yamaha RX-V630 $499
    6 x 75

DD & DD Ex
    DTS only
    DPL & DPL II

And btw the HK520 was not listed why?

Thanks again!

6. David Connor

David Connor Auditioning

I got to thinking...why is it important to run my videos through my receiver? What picture am I loosing by running them straight to the TV??

Hmmm....

7. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

you actually don't lose anything from going to the source (dvd player, hdtv tuner, etc.) to the TV, however, if you go through the receiver, you have the potential for signal loss. from a pure quality point of view, its best to connect directly to the tv.

however, most tv's have only 2 component ins, if a receiver has 2 component ins, by using that you can get a total of 3, if the receiver has 3, you move to 4 etc.

it may also be easier to just connect it to the receiver as usually the receiver is near the dvd player, but they both may be far from the tv, in that case, you will need only one long cable (which can be expensive a component video)

Rich