What's new

receiver suggestion for a small budget (1 Viewer)

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
This board has always been very usefull when i was looking for help. Would some of you be kind enough to Suggest me a few good entry level receiver so that I can now enjoy my dvd player a bit more. It does not have to be with dts decoder, but dts ready would be a plus!
I have a Toshiba sd-7210 player, and don't plan on connecting much more to my receiver since i already have another sound system for my other need.
Thank you!
Robert

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo 494 sells for around $250 - $300 and has what you want. Very good entry level receiver. I have the Onkyo 595 (sells around $400) and am very happy with it. Either of those. Dennon 1802 and 1602, both under $500 also are good choices. Also the Outlaw the other poster mentioned has gotten good reviews, and sells for $500 I believe.
Nick

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick reply,
I already read good comment about the onkyo, the outlaw unfortunately at around 700$us is out of reach for me. My price range is max 400$. I also considered a few kit with the five speaker in popular brand, but i'm quite hesitant about those. When you see full kit for around 400$ it makes you wonder where they save their money????
Keep suggestion coming please.
Rob
PS: any link to good reviews on receiver for all price, or face off for budget consumer???

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
In your price range I think that Yamaha has some receivers that are an excellent value. Check out the RX-V620.
------------------
Dan

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I would suggest the Marantz sr4200. It can be had for around $325 to $400. It is excellent for music/movies and has DD/DTS decoders, s-video switching, and Dolby PL II. My friend has one and did extensive research into the Denon 1602, and onkyo494,595. All were excellent for HT but the Marantz was head and shoulders above the rest for music(in our humble opinions of course). So if you are going to use it for all HT, then take your pick. But if you are going to listen to any music at all, then give the Marantz a look. Hope that helps ya. Good luck.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
After reading this post & replys....I noticed someone mentioned all 3 receivers I was considering.
Denon avr1602,onkyo ds494, marantz sr4200.
I think I am passing on the ds494 : Link Removed states although a good product may be missing out on a few things.
All the denon reviews seem to be ok & cant find many reviews on the marantz. Im going to my local authorized dealer today that sells both denon & marantz. (btw isnt it better to buy from authorized dealers, even if you pay a little more??) the receiver will be a 50/50 ht/music
So, with this said can anyone point me in a direction. This is my first real receiver & entry into HT.
BTW. UBID.COM is slow as heck almost 10 days & still havent shipped my speakers

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at the same receivers you have on your list.
Currently I'm waffling between the Denon 1802 and the Onkyo 595. The Marantz was high on my list until I discovered its fatal flaw. It has no 5.1 analog inputs for future SACD/DVD-A compatability. Even though I have no plans to purchase one of these machines now, I can't buy a receiver that wouldn't allow for that possibility.
good luck with your choice.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
From what I understand, the Onkyo 494 lacks comprehensive delay settings for the center and rear speakers, which IMHO makes it just about useless since few small HT's have room to place all speakers at equal distances. But the 595 is excellent, and is the best receiver I've ever owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks