Receiver stops responding to the remote

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

My father's Kenwood VR-407 just won't accept commands from the remote anymore. It's the original Kenwood remote and I even tested it on my VR-507 and it works fine.

I'm guessing there's a problem with the IR receiver in the receiver itself. Since it's still under warranty (bought it from CC who doesn't carry it anymore) guess we'll have to ship it off to Kenwood to get it fixed. It sucks to have to go through all that for such a minor problem.

Just wondering how common or rare IR receiver problems are, particularly with Kenwood receivers. All the electronics devices with IR communication I have have never failed me this way. Just shabby build quality?

2. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Scott I can suggest rying one thing. I used to have all sorts of simialar problems with my 407. Resetting the recievers computer fixed it every time. I forget how to resset it. I think it you have to hold down the power button while plugging in the reciever. Check your manual to be sure.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

My Kenwood 208 receiver does this too. Sometimes the receiver will respond to the remote and some times it doesn't. I will try Rob's solution and see if it works. I didn't know other people had this problem too. [​IMG]

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hah it worked!!! I love this forum. [​IMG] Thanks Rob!

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Didn't work for me[​IMG]
    My receiver still doens't respond to the remote.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Maybe there's a different way to reset the 208? I looked in the back of my manual and Rob was right about resetting it. Try checking your manual or emailing kenwood.

7. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

8. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I checked the manual and it was the same for the 407. I don't know what the problem is. Its really pissing me off though. It gives me a great excuse to get a new receiver, however, I can't afford one at the moment.

9. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

And the thing is, I know its the receiver because I bought one of those expensive universal remotes and it would do the exact same thing as the Kenwood remote.

10. Kevin Goodwin

Kevin Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

I have the same problem.

Does it matter how long you hold down the Power button when you plug it in? I tried it on my 407 a few times, and it still works intermittently. It doesn't seem to matter whether the receiver is on/off, or hot/cold -- sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. And like Paul said, it's definitely the receiver & not the remote.

My parents have a 209 that's been doing this for a year or more. Maybe it will work for them. It's got to be a common Kenwood problem, as much as I've heard about it.

Any other ideas? I've already paid $70 to have the video output fixed, after something came unsoldered. There's no way I'm putting any more money into it. Maybe crack it open & check the wiring to the IR sensor?

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Kevin,

I don't know what else there is to do. I've had this receiver for about 2 1/2 years now and its about time to buy a new one. I have my eye on the Marantz 5200. I think the only solution is to get a new receiver, there is no way I'm going to pay to get it fixed.

12. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Wow, I had the same problem with my Kenwood VR-309. I really liked the receiver, but then it stopped responding to the remote, but only intermittently. It would work fine right after you turned it on. Then it would go dead for anywhere from 30-90 minutes. Then it would work fine. I got into the habit of turning it on as soon as I got home at night. Then by the time we had fed the kids and gotten them into bed, it would work well enough to actually watch TV without raising my BP!!

I got tired of messing with it and decided to get a new H/K AVR-520, which is working beautifully!!

13. derek

derek Second Unit

John I'm hoping this receiver computer reset fixes the problem! *grins* Did you ever try that?

14. Jay_Leonard

Jay_Leonard Stunt Coordinator

Derek,

Is there a more recent update to this FAQ?

J

15. derek

derek Second Unit

Jay.

No unfortunately. There are probably more complete and updated sites on the net now anyway. My FAQ was generated right around when DD-EX was announced (no equipment even had it yet) when there was a dearth of information about the design. I've made a few updates...and maybe one of these days I'll overhaul it.