What's new

Receiver & Speakers for Newbie (1 Viewer)

Ralph W

Auditioning
Here is what I think I have decided on for my receiver and speakers (budget of $1,000). If I've learned nothing else in the 3 weeks that I've been following this forum, I've learned that where there are 3 forum posters, there are 4 opinions. So here's my question: Am I making a mistake with any of these choices? Keep in mind that I do not plan to make this an obsession where I continue to upgrade the components - I just want to have a quality and reliable system that I can enjoy for the next 4 or 5 years.
Onkyo TX-DS595 Receiver
JBL N26 Bookshelf Speakers (front)
JBL N24 Bookshelf Speakers (rear)
JBL N-Center
JBL PB10 Subwoofer
Thanks.
------------------

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Ralph:
Sounds like a good solid system that you will enjoy for years to come.
I am looking to change my speaker setup myself and I know it can be a frustrating experinece with all the choices available.
------------------
RIGHT ... CHEERS!
header2.jpg

The Hole
[Edited last by Aurel Savin on July 15, 2001 at 04:18 PM]

DonnyD

Screenwriter
IMHO....JBL N Series are gonna sound pretty darn good for the money and will embarrass some higher price models. The PB10 appears to be a good match for them and the big O will provide plenty of juice to make them work. Among our small HT group around where I live, there are some N series and some S series performing well. You are making good choices and obviously have considered "bang for buck".

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Sounds good... I'm not to sure about how much the Onkyo 595 runs, but I myself would probably do the Outlaw Audio 1050 for $499. That's a great price for a 6.1 receiver and leaves a good amount of room for upgrades later on.
However I love Onkyo, great recievers. You got my seal of approval!!!
www.outlawaudio.com if you are interested in taking a look!
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed
[Edited last by John Besse on July 15, 2001 at 05:34 PM]

Scott H

Supporting Actor
For the dollar, I would strongly consider the JBL Northridge stuff... However, I would prob lose the JBL sub and go with the venerable Sony, which is even less expensive I believe.
If the Outlaw 1050 had DPL2 I would go with it for sure. I would say go with it anyway, but as the 595 can be had closer to $400 and features DPL2 it makes the 1050 a bit less appealing.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Sean, the Sony SA-WM40 can definitely be had for under $200 in stores. By price matching some here have said they got them at Sears for under $150.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
While not quite as sweet as getting it for $150, but if you get those "Customer Appreciation" coupons in the mail for Best Buy's "Customer Appreciation Weekends" than you can take 10% off of the retail price of $200 and walk out of the store with the Sony WM40 for $180. Of course, that involves holding out for one of those weekends, but in my case none of the Sears around here will price match internet prices (their signs say as much
frown.gif
).
[Edited last by Sean Laughter on July 16, 2001 at 07:32 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks