What's new

Receiver/Speakers and resistance (1 Viewer)

Paul Harlow

Auditioning
Hi there,

I am looking at getting the Onkyo TX-SR706 receiver to replace an old JVC receiver and was looking over my setup to make sure the Onkyo will fit. I've come to notice that the front speakers working with my home theater setup (basement) are 8ohm while the speakers I generally use for whole house music (upstairs, living room) are 6ohm. I also noticed that there is a manual switch on the receiver that's set for 4ohm-6ohm operation. Conceivably this has been in operation since I've had the speakers and I haven't noticed a real problem.

From everything I've read on the Onkyo 706 it can support the same range of speaker impedance as my current setup however, now that I've discovered this difference in speakers I cannot help but wonder if there is any detriment to any of the equipment running in this configuration.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
6 and 8 ohm speakers should be fine with the 706. I run a mixture of each in on my 705 and have not had any problems. The 705 (and prolly the 706) have issues with 4ohm speakers.

Paul Harlow

Auditioning
Awesome, thanks for the response. I didn't think there would be a problem but I wanted to know for sure.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The lower impedance should only be a problem at high volumes. Since it is the whole house speakers which are 6 ohm, there should be absolutely no problem. I'm guessing you don't crank those up severely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChewyWaffles
Recent bookmarks