What's new

Receiver Sound Question (1 Viewer)

Daniel G

Grip
I have an HK520. I was late night web browsing and came across this user review for the receiver. Can anyone explain the technical significance of the review excerpt? I am always looking for ways to improve the sound.

"Placing something small and heavy on top of the case helps the sound become smoother, and replacing the stock preout/main in jumpers with something like the Audioquest Jumpers brings out more smoothness and detail, while eliminating some of the harshness to the sound."

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, that excerpt is just nonsense. You probably don't remember an example of voodoo audio charlatanism called the "Magic Brick" do you? These were ridiculously expensive cloth-covered blocks released by an enterprising audio snake oil firm back in the early 1980s for placement on top of power amps in order to "reduce chassis vibration and resonances."

Of course, the high-end audio press ate this nonsense up, claiming that use of these things "opened up" the sound with night-and-day differences.

Run away from this sort of "advice."

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
LOL. While placing something small and heavy on the chassis will do absolutely nothing, replacing the jumpers might have an effect. Audioquest makes some excellent products.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks