Receiver shutting off

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Junie, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Junie

Junie Agent

I recently add a Rotel 1075 to my system and now use the Marantz 5200 I have as the prepro. When I turn on the system the Marantz will play for a couple of minutes and then will shut down. I thought it was because of heat at first, but the same thing happened befor it could heat up any thoughts?

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

If the Marantz will play without a shutdown in a stand alone mode, then it's either the Rotel or a cabling problem.

Mort (who'd give his best bet on speaker wires touching something somewhere)

3. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

You don't have the power for the Rotel amp running off one of the outlets on the back of the Marantz, do you??? If so then move the amp power to a wall outlet and try again.

4. Junie

Junie Agent

I have the Rotel plugged into its own outlet. when mention speaker wires touching something you mean on the back of the rotel right?

5. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

How is the Marantz wired to the Rotel. What outputs on the Marantz are you using, are the cables in good condition (visually)??? I'm beginning to think you need to do what the first response said to do and that's to isolate the Marantz and see if the problem still exists in that condition.

6. Junie

Junie Agent

I have the Marantz wired to the Rotel through the preouts only. I will isolate the Marantz and see what happens. However it just came to mind that I had a couple of wires (speakers) that did not have plugs on them I will the plugs and put them in place. the connects between the componets are new with no visable damage or defects.

7. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I'll wager that you find a couple of speaker wire strands touching (either at the receiver or speaker...or both) and causing a short. It doesn't take much and that would explain a non-heat, near instant shutdown.

Good hunting.

Mort