What's new

Receiver shuts off randomly? (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi there, I just setup my new sound system last night. During testing of 'the dark knight' my receiver just shut off. I'm not sure what could cause something like this. I have all pretty much low end equipment, but didn't think that should be the cause of the problem. Sony STR-DH520 Polk Monitor 30 (front), CS1 (center), OWM3 (rears), and PSW10. Sounded good, but I turned the volume up and after about 5 minutes the receiver just shut down. I didn't try to trouble-shoot it because I don't know what would cause that to happen. I'm using large wire - 12 gauge. It was difficult getting the cables into the speaker ports on the receiver. They have the spring type connector. Could a bad connection cause something like this? What would you do here? I just moved into a new house, so I can't just upgrade the unit. Thanks,

Chuck King

Agent
It sounds like your receiver is over-heating. Is your receiver located in a spot that doesn't provide adequate air circulation around it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Obvious question and then others... 1. Is the AVR crammed into a cabinet where it can't vent? Otherwise... 2. 12awg is a bit thick for spring loaded(as you noticed). On "either" end is there a stray wire? Even if a wire is touching the AVR itself(meaning not in the terminal) that can cause a ground out...which leads to shut down. 3. If all wire connections are confirmed good... Unhook the center/surround(and remove them in "set-up") and start with two...see if the "same volume" causes shutdown. If shutdown doesn't happen, add the center/repeat...then surround. Either there is a loose wire...or you have a warranty claim impending on the AVR or a speaker.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
The receiver is in a wide open area- nothing surround it but cold air (60 degrees). The wiring on the speaker side seems fine. The wire does go through the contact hole and hits the plastic on the speaker, which I'm assuming is just fine. The wiring on the receiver end may be the problem... I'm not sure if I should just cut the exposed cable shorter and get it tighter, or if I should just rewire with 16g wire.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I'm not sure if something like this speaker pin would work to clean up the receiver side: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-QuickLock-MKII-Connectors-Terminations/dp/B000WXBY7I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the time you bought 6 of those...you could just buy some 14 or 16 awg wire... But, of course, I have no idea if you tucked the wire in baseboards... So it may be simpler to get those...Your call.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
I had a similar issue one time. Drove me nuts, polarity was good, terminals were good. Turned out my wife's prized puppies had just barely chewed through on of my runs of cable. Drove me nuts till one of the kids found the chewed line.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Thanks for the help yesterday. I got this sort out simply but cutting down the exposed copper to about 1/4 inch and plugged that into the spring clips. The issue appears to be fixed. I was also able to get my distance setup for each speaker, levels, and patter (3/2.1). I tested a few movies- sounds good to me!

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Yes, me too... I read way too many posts that just end w/o a solution... So thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks