1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Receiver shopping for future Atmos

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by leemr lee123, Mar 17, 2019.

1. leemr lee123

leemr lee123 Auditioning

mrlee123
    Shopping for a new receiver but I'm a bit confused on something. I'd be looking at future state as a 5.1.2 setup, or 7.1.2 at most. My question being what should I be looking for in a 7 channel receiver, that will allow me the ability to add an amp for a 9 channel setup down the road? Also, is it way more cost effective to just spend the extra couple hundred dollars for a 9 channel receiver? I know the alternative would be an extra amp for 2 channels, but I have never shopped for a stand alone amp before. Thanks!

2. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    You can find two channel amps for around $100. Preamp outputs on a receiver allow for external amps to be connected. Normally these outputs come on middle and higher end AVRs. If you want the ability for 9 channels the AVR you find will likely have both 9 channels and preouts but look around, that might not be the case. If you post your budget for an AVR I wouldn't be surprised if some folks make some specific AVR recommendations...

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    It's going to depend on specifically what you are shopping for. I quickly looked at Denon, and to get 9 pre-outs (for 5.2.4 or 7.2.2) you have to buy a 9-channel amplifier, which starts around $1500 MSRP. The 7 channel receivers (5.2.2) only offer seven channel pre-out. I don't know if all brands are the same, but for Denon right now, it appears to not be cheaper to buy a lesser AVR and amplifiers later.