Receiver shootout: Sony STR-DE675 vs. Onkyo TX-DS494

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt C, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Hi everyone, I'm finally getting around to making a final decision on a new receiver. I'm stuck in the ~$300.00 range, due to my recent over-excitement in buying DVDs. So my question is, which of these two receivers do you all think I should go for? I haven't heard them yet personally, but I'm going to in a few days. I just wanted some informed opinions on these two receivers. They seem to have similiar features and inputs, and they both have the s-video switching that I wanted to have. I'm not overly concerned with Dolby Prologic II, I don't listen to that many Prologic sources, and music will probably be played in two-channel output anyways.
    How is the build quality compared between the two? Sound quality? DACs? Can both remotes be used for controlling many different brands of equipment? Anything else you want to share with me? I really appreciate any help you all can give me. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know!
    EDIT: BTW, my listening preference on this receiver will be about 50/50 for music and movies. I watch lots of movies, my roommate at college listens to tons of music.
    Also, my main speakers right now are Polk RT-25i bookshelves, and my surrounds are RT-15i speakers.
    -Matt C
    [Edited last by Matt C on July 14, 2001 at 02:55 PM]

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo TX-DS494's amp section is in a totally different class than that of Sony's STR-DE675. The Onkyo has discrete, high-current power amps for all of its channels; the Sony uses an IC chip design instead. The build quality of the Onkyo is much better than that of the Sony's too.
    Don't let the Onkyo's 55Wpc rating fool you. First of all, this figure is obtained using a 20Hz - 20KHz scale at 8 ohms (which is the proper way to measure amplifier power output). Sony gets its 100Wpc rating from the less desirable 1KHz scale. So you're actually getting maybe 60-70Wpc in reality. Plus, this isn't high-current power like the Onkyo provides. The Onkyo also gives you A/B speaker switching, if that matters to you (the Sony lacks this).
    The only thing I don't really like about the 494 is how it lacks an s-video output for a VCR/digital recorder. The Sony model you're comparing excels in one big thing: number of inputs and outputs. The Onkyo is sort of lacking in this area, but somewhat understandable at this price range.
    ------------------

3. Matt C

Matt C Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    Thanks for the info! Right now it looks as though I'm leaning towards the Onkyo receiver. Does anyone else have any info or opinions for me?
    -Matt C

4. Carlo S

Carlo S Stunt Coordinator

Matt C
    Depending on your budget, maybe you should consider buying a Onkyo 595.
    IMO, if its a choice between Sony or Onkyo, I would buy Onkyo.

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I'll 2nd Onkyo over Sony.