receiver setup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonS, Oct 10, 2001.

1. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the Kenwood 507 receiver, and I'm having problems hooking up my dvd player and cd player. I have two input options, cd/dvd and dvd/6 channel. I am using an optical cable for the dvd player, and was trying to use the analog inputs for the cd player. The only thing I have had luck with so far is changing the input from digital to analog when changing from dvd to cd. Any suggestions for hooking them both up at the same time? Should I just use the auxilary inputs for the cd player?
    Thanks for your help.
    ~Jason

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I have a 509. I don't know if our machines have the same exact hookups available, but I ran the CD to the CD/DVD input and the DVD to the Video 2 input. Works great for me...

3. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

I'll will give that a try. I'll let you know if that does the trick.

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Yeah, this is a somewhat confusing thing with current Kenwood receivers. The only solution other than manual switching between analog and digital is to use digital coax- the Kenwood should have a coax DVD input. This won't interfere with the CD/DVD input. If you do this, set the DVD/6ch to digital and the CD/DVD to analog. This works great for me.

5. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input. Will the 6 channel work with using my optical cable? Then I could use the cd/dvd analog input for the cd player, and use the optical for the dvd player on the 6 channel.
    ------------------
    ~J

6. Chuck Kent

Jason: If optical is your choice, it looks like Video 3 input maybe the one. It supports an optical audio digital input and has both composite and S-Video video hookups.
    ------------------

7. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

Well, what do I need to do to tell my receiver what to use the optical for? I just tried putting in a dvd and choosing video 3, but got no results. What do I need to do?
    ------------------
    ~J

8. Lance Haile

Lance Haile Extra

Have you set your DVD player to digital output?

9. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

Yup. Everything works fine when I have it on dvd/cd. If I have the input set to analog, I can use my cd player, and when it is set to digital, I had DD and DTS.
    ------------------
    ~J

10. Chuck Kent

Jason: IMO, leave the analog CD connection as is.
    Move the DVD optical cable from the CD/DVD digital input over to the Video 3 optical digital input. Then move your DVD player video connection from the CD/DVD DVD Video In to the Video 3 In. Then choose Video 3 as your source and set it to digital input mode.
    Let us know how it goes...
    ------------------

11. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I had forgotten that both my optical inputs are assigned to dvd/cd and video 3. I thought they were both marked as "optical input" or something. Sounds like that's what I need to do. I'll give it a shot when I get off work tonight. Thanks for the help.
    ------------------
    ~J