Receiver Settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James^C, Feb 3, 2005.

1. James^C

James^C Extra

Sep 24, 2004
    I am working on setting up my system in my new home theater room. I currently have a 3 year old JVC receiver (I can't wait to replace), Definitive Technology bp8's for mains, along with a Def Tech center and surrounds. I just added a SVS sub (very nice!!!).

I am not sure what to set my speaker settings to on my receiver. If I set them to "Large", I cannot use the receiver's internal crossover, but if I set them to "small" I can use the crossover. Do I need to use the crossover for better sound?

Also, I tried to calibrate my system last night using the Avia DVD. If I have my receiver set to "Large" speakers, it cuts my sub off. I can only calibrate my system, including the sub, with the speakers set to "small". Does this make sence?

Should I set some of the speakers to small and some to large? Or keep them all the same?

Thanks again for all of the help!!!
  2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Jan 17, 2004
    Avia does not use the LFE channel for its subwoofer test tones. It sends a tone for whatever channel you're trying to calibrate and lets your receiver's bass management determine how that signal gets processed. If your speakers are set to large, they most likely won't be able to produce the lower tones, so you won't hear much bass.

If your speakers are set to small, then the tones below the crossover will be redirected to your sub, and you'll get a fuller sound.

You would only set your speakers to "large" if you didn't have a sub or if your speakers were full range (and most are not).