1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

receiver set up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Rich, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Douglas Rich

Douglas Rich Auditioning

First of all thanks to this forum and all those who post and respond regularly. This board was extremely helpful in my purchase and set up. I do still have a few questions.
    I purchases the Denon 682 theater system. The receiver is the Denon 1602 and comes complete with s video in and out. I have heard two options on the matter if the dvd should be plugged through the receiver or straight to the tv. What are the benefits and drawbacks of both directions and what would be the best?
    Next question is certainly a newbie question but you never learn unless you ask right? I have checked the faq posts and have it mostly figured out but here goes. The low frequency ratings? They are mentioned in HZ. the setup on my receiver says that my speakers are identified as "large" if they can fully reproduce sounds below 80. My speakers are rated at 75. I am guessing that meets the classification but do not know if hz is identified like a golf score or a basketball score.

Thanks for any and all information I receive.

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Doug. Jesse nailed the questions, but I thought I'd give some background.
    The people who made the receiver dont know what speakers you are using. They also suspect you dont have the frequency range of your speakers memorized...(ok you guys, put your hands down [​IMG] )
    So they simply ask: "Do your speakers have a large driver called a "woofer"?" In a tower speaker, this large driver makes the sounds from about 20-80 hz.
    Since your speakers are physically small, and you know they stop at 75 hz, you have small, monitor-style speakers.
    Your receiver is smart enough to strip off any sounds below 80 hz and NOT send it to a small speaker. Instead, it will send it to:
    - a external subwoofer if you have one
    - Any LARGE speaker in your system
    This way, you can use a mix of large & small speakers and the receiver uses them correctly.
    Hope this helps.

4. Douglas Rich

Douglas Rich Auditioning

Excellent,,,,, Thanks for the information.
    I do have one more question. I have played around with the settings like many in this forum have suggested and found that it sounds best on the "large" setting. Now the question. Will this damage the speakers in anyway? I do not want to have a setting that will harm them. Thanks

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

No, telling your receiver that your speakers are LARGE when they really are small should not cause any harm to the speakers.