What's new

Receiver/Separates Considerations (1 Viewer)

Brant

Auditioning
My current set consists of an older Pioneer Elite VSX-14TX receiver driving Mirage OM-7s, OM-C2, and OM-R2s. Because of the lack of multichannel analog inputs for SACD, I'm itching to upgrade. I've been pretty happy with the sound of my current set up & previous Pioneer products, so my initial instinct was to upgrade to the VSX-55TXi. I'd really like some suggestions as to what other receivers or separates to audition that might be a good match for the Mirage's. I'm willing to put off the upgrade to save the extra dough for separates (trying to avoid more debt). If I go the separates route, I'd probably go with the pre/pro first, using the amp from the current receiver. Any suggestions?

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I believe you have a flaw in your thinking.

Most receivers don't have pre-amp INs (not sure of your particular model but since it's an older one, I'm guessing probably not) to bypass the processing of the receiver to use the receiver's amps. The amp section is usually the weak component of a receiver so most people actually go for the amp first using the more common pre-outs. Then they'd go for the separate processor.

WillyB

Auditioning
If you want a new receiver I'll just make it simple for you... Denon 5803 or the new Yamaha flagship model!

Brant

Auditioning
Ernest,

My receiver actually has 5 RCA pre-outs that have what I call "bridge pins" to 5 amp inputs. So I have the ability to use a different amp or a pre/pro. And I know my upgrade path may be a little backward in usual upgrade path. My main goal is get those multichannel analog inputs, then I'll worry about amplification.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
wait a sec... nm

I guess my new question is that how do those bridge pins allow a PREOUT to bypass the PreAmp section?

Brant

Auditioning
Good point - I'll have to doublecheck the users manual to see what's happening in the signal path.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Take the connector pins off. The pre-outs of your new pre/pro will go to your current receiver's main-ins. The main-ins, do not go through the preamp. Nothing will be attached to your old receiver's pre-outs.
As Ernest says, this is reverse of what most do to migrate to seperates. As long as you are happy with your current power to your speakers, this will be OK. The overall sound improvement, will be diminished, until you upgrade to a seperate power amp, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks