Receiver sending noise to sub, HELP !

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chad A, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

I've had my Kenwood 6070 for just under a year or so with no problems.
    Now after disconnecting my 31 band EQ and going straight to my subs(to get the lost headroom I was missing), anytime I switch inputs, hit mute, or the auto selective input changes I get a loud thump from my subs.
    It's very loud and scares everyone in my HT.
    I checked all of my levels everywhere there is one and they're all normal.
    It has to be coming from the receiver or I thought it might even be a grounding problem of some kind.

I need anyones suggestion as to what my possible problem might be.
    I'm still under warranty so they'll be footing the bill but I'd still like to know as much as I can before calling Kenwood.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

I have the same problem with my Denon 4800 and posted a question similar to yours. Someone told it me it was probably a faulty muting circuit in the receiver, and I think that is indeed what the problem is. Rather than packing it up and sending it off for repair, I just leave my sub amp (Samson 1000) off until I have every thing else set up right. Then I turn on the Samson. It's a pain, but no loud jolts to my two SVS Ultras. Reverse the order when you're shutting down. Beats me why the unmuted noise goes out the sub output and not the other speakers, too.
    I'm going to buy separates and ship the Denon off for the repair before I sell it.

3. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Sucks to hear you have the same problem Gordon.
    Looks like I'll be sending it in for a fix if Kenwood owns up to the problem.
    Thanks for the reply.