1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

receiver seems used... should i exchange for a new one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidQc, Dec 12, 2002.

1. DavidQc

DavidQc Stunt Coordinator

hey guys,
    tell me if i'm being too picky here.
    but i picked up the Pioneer VSX-D811S on tues. night
    from Best Buy.

anyway, after some pricematching... and negotiating, they dropped the price from $379 to $339.

well, it was the last receiver in stock. but at the time, i did not notice that it was taped up with Best Buy's Inspected tape.

So when i opened it, it was not properly packaged. the batteries were already in the remote, which was not in a bag. the foam cover was not covering the receiver properly. there were a couple minor, very minor scratches. and of course, one of the prongs on the plug is bent! the idiot who used it first must have yanked the electrical cord out half assed.

i purchased the 4 year performance plan for the receiver, which is $34.99. should i exchange the receiver for a new one? i hate the idea that i bought a used receiver. who knows what else happened to it with the first person.

i was just too impatient on tues. night.
    so should i exchange it for a new one, for peace of mind?
    and is the performance plan worth it? i figure, for a 4 year plan... $34.99 is not bad at all.

sorry this is so long.
    any comments/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    -david

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm assuming you can get another one with the same discount?

if so, then YES!

if you can't get the discount, then you got a rippin' deal on that receiver and may have to "live with it".

regarding the extended warranty - since you got such a good deal i think it was an okay choice. 35 bucks ins't bad. think of it as the price of two dvd's (or 7 trips to mcdonalds) to protect your gear for the next four years.

3. DavidQc

thanks ted!

but weren't there bad reviews about Best Buy's
    "performance service plans"????

wasn't there a concern about a scam with Best Buy?

well, the thing with my discount is.
    i have it on store credit.
    but i also pricematched the manager on tues. night.

the receiver is retailed for $379. but he sold it to me for $339.

if i exchange it, what if the other Best Buy doesn't exchange my new receiver for $339? i just don't want the hassle.

it's not a big deal. but it still bothers me a bit.
    yes, i got a great deal on this receiver. and thus far, i'm happy with it. although i'm still learning how to use all the features/functions.

thanks again.
    -david

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think you'll be okay exchanging it. i mean, one store shouldn't be arguing what another store did.

i haven't heard anything (good or bad) regarding the warranty. perhaps others can chime in on this point???

i think you'll be okay exchanging it. you bought something and it's defective (scratched, etc.). heck...you could threaten to sick the BBB on them. they clearly sold you something as "new" when it wasn't.

actually...you are sure they sold it to you as new correct? this wasn't an open-box item?

5. DavidQc

ted,

yes, this was sold as new. i did not get the impression of it otherwise.

open box items are clearly marked, and the price is drastically reduced.

the receiver was at the bottom of my cart. i had a sony dvd player placed on top.

the salesperson and manager did not see the 'clear best buy inspected' tape which re-sealed the box.

hopefully i won't come across any problems.

the clear tape that they used to reseal the box does not stand out right away.
    i feel foolish to say that it did not catch my attention.

since it was the last receiver in stock, i was more excited about picking it up, and assuming that it was a new merchandise.

i may exchange it this friday.

anyone else with information regarding Best Buy's Performance Service Plan, please let us know the
    pros and cons.

thanks.
    -david

6. DavidQc

UPDATE!!!! :
    the Pioneer VSX-D811S' retail price at Best Buy just dropped to $299.99 today.
    i wonder if it had anything to do with me pointing out that it is on sale at B&H Photo in manhattan for $294.99.
    anyway, i will be returning my receiver completely.
    then buying a new one at the new sale price.
    one guy at a different Best Buy says that i can't exchange my used receiver for a new one.
    why is it that these employees don't seem too knowledgeable about their own products and policies????
    [​IMG] incompetent people bother me.
    ok, i can't wait to get a new receiver... at a lower price too!
    [​IMG]

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

congrats! that's the best scenario of all! [​IMG]

8. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Incompetent sales people bother you but taking advantage of a discount that is clearly not due you doesn't?

Hmmmmmmm........

9. DavidQc

Bill,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I couldn't come up with a response to your comment... frankly because I could not understand what you were trying to say.

The incompetent salesperson that I spoke with about their exchange policy is not the same person who sold the receiver to me.
    Perhaps that helps to enlighten your viewpoint.

My discount and salespeople with lack of appropriate knowledge, are two separate issues.

Hope that clears something.
    -david

10. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

If your friend helped you purchase it originally for the great price, you should talk to him about any returns or exchanges you're doing with his discount. After all, he works there so he should be more familiar with the way things work.

I work in retail, and if something seems odd from another store, I tell the person to go back to the store where they bought it and have their salesperson or manager take care of the situation.

And on another note...
    Congrats on that receiver though, I can't even get it for that good of a price!

11. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Hopefully all of that "Inspected" tape has not been torn completely off the box. Its presence should absolutely prove that the item was not new stock.
    If all the negotiations were on the assumption that the merchandise was new, you should be able to get an even exchange to a new piece, or an additional discount.
    Does the sales slip say "open box" on it? I heard of one store, I forget whether it was BB or CC or GG, which encodes the cents figure of the price, examples only: $xxx.96 means open box, $xxx.97 means open box and things missing.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

12. Bill Lucas

David,

If you can't see the point I won't go further. As Greg said, there's one person you should be dealing with and that's the person that made the deal.

BTW, it isn't a good idea to post that you made an illegal transaction on a public Internet forum. And yes, what you and your friend did was illegal. Regards.

13. DavidQc

Bill,
    thanks for the note.
    and i was only teasing about the way you wrote your sentence.

and also, i never mentioned that i made an illegal transaction. so please don't make that assumption.

no one says it's illegal for an employee to purchase a gift for a friend.

and yes, i agree. i should return that merchandise to the same store, instead of putting the burden onto another best buy.

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

when i worked at cc (or was it gg - can't remember now), i was allowed to buy a limited number of gifts for my family or friends with my discount. heck...my friend was standing right next to me and my manager when i bought the mini-system for her.

also, allan's right about the cents meaning something - at least at cc. other numbers also meant the item was going oop, etc.

15. Jon_Skiffington

Jon_Skiffington Auditioning

I'm curious as to how some are viewing this as illegal. BB sold him a receiver as "new" that was clearly "used." That's illegal.
    Now he wants to return it for one that's actually new. But since then the price has dropped. How is it illegal to get back the money you spent for the mis-represented item, and buy a brand new one for a lower price?
    Maybe I misunderstood. But it doesn't sound illegal to me on the consumer's end. On the dealer's perhaps...

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think bill's stating that david illegally used someone else's discount...

17. Bill Lucas

David,

No problem. I tend to take the moral high road. Not sure what it'll get me in the end but...

I really doubt that anyone intentionally sold a used item. They move so many boxes and have so many seasonal employees (especially during the Holidays) that you simply can't expect the help to be adequate or to know company procedures.

18. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

My experience with employee discounts is that the major retailers really don't care if you use it for friends. Best Buy, for example, still gets money for the sale (I think their discount is 5% over cost).
    In fact, the only reason they put the clause that you can't use your discount for anyone but yourself is so the employee doesn't take advantage of it. With some discounts some places offer their employees, a person could probably run a different business selling the goods. So technically, he might not be doing the right thing, but do you stop at Stop Signs for a full 3 seconds and look both ways twice before going? With my experience, it really depends on who you work for. Some managers don't care at all, since the store is still getting a sale; while other managers that are extremely by the book, will fire you for suggesting it.
    On another note, this doesn't just happen with electronics either. I know that Johnson & Johnson offers their workers exceptionally great deals on their products. But since it's pretty hard to determine just how much shampoo, powder, or moisturizer one family needs they simply allow their workers to get a limited amount of stuff a month.