What's new

Receiver S-video switching quality (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I'd like to ask a favor of anyone using their receiver as an S-video switcher.

I'm interested in comparing the S-video performance of all brands. My SR-6200 had the well known S-video flaw corrected, and the picture is great except for another problem: vertical hold upset during quick, bright edits (as seen in some car commercials these days), and certain bright explosions. Obviously, if you are watching a comedy or drama film you will not see this effect - I notice it especially on films like Terminator I (the battles that take place in the future - lots of laser blasts and explosions). This happens on my JVC 32" TV, and on my Sony camcorder I tested by routing the Monitor Out to the camcorder, so its not just my TV. Please post your receiver brand and wether you are having similar problems. I'd also be interested in hearing from those that have had NO problems whatsoever.

I am trying to figure out if this is a common phenomenon among receivers, or if there are some brands that are better than others.

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Chris,

I switch 5 SVideo components thru my Denon AVR-3600 - VHS, SVHS, 2 DVD players and LD - and I have never had any problems or degradation of the signal. Also, I can't tell the difference between running the SVideo directly thru the TV or using the receiver as a switcher. I am totally happy with how my AVR switches SVideo (and composite video as well).

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

I am using S Video switching through my Onkyo 898 and I have had no problems. I compared the direct connect method to my receiver's quality and noticed no degradation in picture quality. I compared using a variety of source material just to be sure.

Thanks,

Jeff

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I use Svid switching through my Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX and have no trouble. It looks the same as when I plug the Svid in directly to my set.

Sam

PaulKH

Second Unit
My Sony DA90ESG receiver does perfect S-video switching / passthru. No complaints.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input everyone. But beyond the good picture quality that you are experiencing, are you also saying the vertical hold remain stable during all quick, bright edits and flashy explosions, or does it loose sync occasionally?

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Nope Chris, no errors, no V-hold issues, no shimmer, nothing. Never had any trouble whatsoever with my video switching.

Sam

Vin

Supporting Actor
I utilize the S-video switching capabilities of my Kenwood VR-507.....no problemo. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks