What's new

Receiver Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
Mmmmmm....not sure; may want to wait for someone who's a bit more of a Denon-ite to chime in!

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I would look at the new Denons. You should be able to get the 1909 for $600 - $650. The 789 should be basically the same receiver for $50 less (not sure of the differences). The new receivers have the Dynamic Volume feature: http://www.audyssey.com/.

I'm considering the Denon 1909/789 (will be out any day now) or PioneerVSX-1018TXH-K (out now - same price range $600 - $650) for my replacement of my older Pioneer Elite receiver. They both do all the new HD audio formats.

If you want to go cheaper look at the lower priced new Denons on their page to see what features they have.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

I have been trying to find the PioneerVSX-1018TXH-K but have been unsuccessful - where have you seen that to buy if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks!
Neil

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
You can get the Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K from their website for sure. I've heard people getting them in some B&M stores as well, but can't remember where.

Pioneer USA - Pioneer A/V Receivers

Click the Buy Now button.

Also they have it listed at $599 (which is $50 less than Best Buy had it). I do think some people were getting it at BB price matching the Pioneer site. I guess I did remember a B&M store.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With 40 more wpc, a nine band MCACC and Pioneer build quality I would say it is. But it's also $200 more. And it handles ipods, which you mentioned earlier.

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
With 40 more wpc, a nine band MCACC and Pioneer build quality I would say it is.

I apologize, but I need to disagree with this statement here by Gene...outside of their "Elite" line, the "Pioneer build quality" is not nearly in the same class as Onkyo...

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
I see so the 1018 would be considered their elite line? I might just go with the 606 seeing how this will just be for my bedroom, I can just upgrade the receiver later. Anyways thanks guys for all the feedback!

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli

Not sure on that one -- can someone confirm for him that this Pioneer is from the Elite line or not? I can't think it can be because of the price range you were discussing in here, unless I'm mistaken...their Elite stuff doesn't come cheap...

I would consider the Denons or Onkyos -- even if it weren't just for a bedroom system. Their receivers can kick some serious a!!@@ in a media room/home theater setup as well. :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sounds like a good plan to me. Good luck and let us know how you like those SVS speakers and sub, after you have properly calibrated your system :) .

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Gene, as I am a novice, does the 606 come with the auto calibration like the 1018 does? I do not know anytthing about calibrating. Thank you also paveno for all the advice!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes it does. These auto calibration systems are usually pretty accurate but you have to follow the procedure to the letter. The automatic equilizer part of it doesn't always produce an acceptable improvement but you can turn the eq off if it doesn't appeal to you.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
My heart wanted the Pioneer 1018 but my budget said Onkyo 606. I clicked on the link through HTF and got it on Amazon for a sweet $394 - really looking forward to hooking it up (my current receiver just died on me last night!!!)

Good luck with your picks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It's not that hard at all if you use the automatic calibration feature. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. But it's very important in order to get your system to sound it's best. Just follow all the directions in the manual. It's very important that the room is quiet during the process. Some of us also use an spl meter and a setup disc from Avia or Video Essentials to double check the results but the auto setup should work fine. But read the manual! :) (most of us say we do, but we really don't).

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli

Yes, Marantz is definitely in a little bit of a different class; that's approaching the "affordable" end of higher end -- I own a CD changer and CD recorder by Marantz and the stuff is solid as a rock...but definitely not cheap...

My point to the OP was that Denon and Onkyo, from my experience and conversations with folks in the field, are pretty much doing the "best" receivers in that class -- whatever you want to call it...affordable, mid priced, etc. I really don't think Pioneer's non-Elite product line approaches any of these other mentioned brands. And I believe you are incorrect about Pioneer giving their affordable receivers a "better name" by slapping Elite on them; there IS better circuitry inside that gear than just a name would suggest.

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli

Yes, as Gene I believe it was already told you, the 605/606 Onkyos can be calibrated automatically by the Audyssey system -- I personally did not like the results I got after I ran the system many times as did my installer -- we came to the conclusion that manually dialing in the values was better; I have some values that I like and just "work" for my room and tastes, and I tweak around that, etc. Plus, Audyssey doesn't always get things right -- it pegged my Polk bookshelves as FULL RANGE, and that's not really how they're supposed to be run...but you can go in, if you want, and change whatever automatic settings the system made to "fix" any "off" value, like I described with my speakers. I just prefer doing the calibration myself.

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
how hard is it to calibrate it by yourself? is there a special tool that i would need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks