1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Receiver Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lainie*H, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Lainie*H

Lainie*H Auditioning

Hello all! I am new to Home Theater, and I want to get my husband a nice receiver for Christmas. I've been reading here a lot and it seems like separates is the way to go. So... we are running now:

Receiver: really old Fisher RS-911
    Pioneer speakers ? model (they are 2 ft. tall, 14" wide)
    SA cable box
    TiVo
    Sony PS2
    Sony DVD
    Sony VCR

My husband has had the speakers and receiver for a looooong time. So what's a good start? Budget is

2. John S

John S Producer

3. John S

John S Producer

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, I agree with john in his second post... do a bit of research, and peice together a system... it'll sound much better than buying a HT in a Box... there have been several threads recently about people looking for a HT around that price range...

5. ken-m

ken-m Agent

everything looks good on the second suggestion except the klh sub. i had to return two of these because the auto on/off feature didn't work. also the first one had a buzzing sound that would emitt from the cone. the sony would be a better buy. i listened to the sony and it can really pour on the sound. very good choice for the money.

6. Lainie*H

Lainie*H Auditioning

Thanks you guys for the suggestions. This will be an awesome Christmas gift! Any other ideas are welcome!

7. John S

John S Producer

Yes, after reading some reviews, get the Sony Sub!!!!
    At that price, and for the stark contrast in reviews, definetly get the Sony Sub.

12" Sub, is really the minimum I would suggest. That is the only real down side of the Onkyo HTIB really.
    8" sub, with a rated 100w x 5 reciever, not a good match.

I wish I could see his face when he gets the setup from Santa!!!!!

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

You might also want to consider Fluance Speakers Model AV-HTB which can be had for $250 delivered & have gotten some really good reviews for the price. The set includes 2 front Tower Speakers, a Large Center Speaker & 2 Small Surround Speakers.www.fluance.comI would then add the Sony Sub-Woofer to the mix.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Lainie - In my early days (and even now) my HT system was put together 1 device per year. A VCR, TV, Receiver, Speakers, DVD player - took 5 years.

It's a bit over budget, but Good Guys was selling last years model of Yamaha RX-V3300 for $599. This thing was selling for $1200-$1500 last year. Heck of a deal.

Speakers: the important thing about speakers is to get them to match. I just put together a system for my mother that consisted of:

- 5 M&K K5 speakers. Scratch & Dent price: $240
    - Home Theater Direct Sub III: $200 from a seller on Craigslist
    - My old Yamaha 793 receiver

So for about $450 she now has a very good sounding HT system. I realize used equipment does not sound like much of a gift, but it just illustrates that you DONT need lots of $$ to make a great system.