Receiver recommendations - renaming inputs? 3 component?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike_Boulanger, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Mike_Boulanger

Mike_Boulanger Stunt Coordinator

Looking for some recommendations on a receiver to replace my aging Yamaha RX-V995 Dolby Digital / DTS receiver.

One feature my Yamaha doesn't have that I missed was the ability to rename the input (the text that displays on the receivers display). Looking through the specs on some of the receivers in my price range, and I'm having a hard time
    pinpointing any that have this feature.

Can anyone help?

Also, I'd love something that has 3 component inputs, but 2 seems the norm. Can anyone recommend anything that has 3?

My price limit is $1500 or so.

Thanks in advance...

2. Mike_Boulanger

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

3. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

As far as being able to rename inputs, even lower-end Sony models have this feature, although I seem to be one of the few people who is perfectly happy with my Sony DE model (STR-DE885).

Maybe one of the models in the Sony ES line has 3 component inputs.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The new Denon 3805 has 3 component inputs for $1200 MSRP. But it does not allow you to rename inputs.

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

The HK 430 and 630 have assignable and renameable component inputs but only 2 in 1 out. Maybe the new HK 7300 will have 3 component inputs? Can't find that info on the HK site. But on the 7300 there is full video upconversion and OSD can be viewed thru component output.

The NAD 763 and 773 have 3 component inputs and 1 out. Looks like they can be renamed, but not reassigned. DVD is fixed to Component 1, SAT to Component 2. VCR input fixed to Component 3. But if you can rename them that should be good enough. Can't see the OSD through the component out though.

The T 763 is equipped with nine configurable and nameable inputs: six audio-video inputs labeled DVD, SAT,
    VCR, and VIDEO 4-6 (including VIDEO 6 on the front panel), and three audio-only inputs labeled CD, DISC
    and EXT 7.1. These are flexibly configurable and nameable:,

Looks like the HK 7300 has 3 component inputs. 1 assigned to the DVD and 2 others reassignable. But not sure if its in your price range. Vanns.com list it for $1999 but the receiver won't be available for a month or so. By then you might be able to find it in your price range. 7300 also comes with Dolby PLIIx

The AVR 7300 provides extensive connectivity and installation flexibility, with a wide selection of digital and analog audio and video connections and control options. Complementing its innovative digital video upconversion capabilities, the AVR 7300 includes three assignable wide-bandwidth 100MHz, HDTVcompatible component video inputs. Because the receiver provides component video upconversion for all S-Video and composite video signals, it can be connected to a compatible TV set or video display device using just a single set of component video cables, simplifying connection options.

6. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

The Yamaha V2400 you can rename inputs on, only 2 component in though. I love mine.

7. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Yamaha RX-V2400 has the ability to rename the inputs, awesome receiver!

8. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Rotel RSX-1056... coming in March.

9. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

The Sherwood Newcastle R-965 has what you're asking for. You can re-name all the video inputs. The re-naming changes both the flourescent front panel display and the on-screen display. It also has 3 component video inputs which are independently assignable to any of the 6 AV inputs. The first units will be arriving this week.

Jeff

10. Mike_Boulanger

Thanks for the replies, guys! I ended up going with an Onkyo TX-NR901 from OneCall. I don't believe it has either of the 2 features I was mentioning in this thread, but have always been a fan of Onkyo based on previous experience and have been eyeing this receiver for a while.

Looking at the Denon 3805, though, I'm thinking maybe I should have waited for that unit. What online vendors typically carry Denon?

Thanks again,
    Mike

11. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

Here is the link to the Denon webpage of authorized online vendors:
    Authorized DENON Online E-Tailers: (scroll to the bottom)

BTW, how do you like your Onkyo receiver? i have been looking at it for a while now. I do like the streaming internet and ethernet feature. I have about 22GB of music on my pc with a router and cable modem. That would work nicely in my situation.

I have also been looking at the new Denon 3805 too. What do you like better about the Denon. Just the fact that it is a Denon?

I was also curios...what is the difference between THX select and other THX options?