What's new

Receiver recommendations pls? (1 Viewer)

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
You'd probably be happy with the Denon 3802. It has all the current bells and whistles.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Jon Shea

Auditioning
I just picked up the Marantz SR-7200 for $749 from Cambridge Soundworks. Very pleased so far. I upgraded from an (ugh) Sony STR-DE845.
It's 6.1, too.
-jon

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,
For the price range indicated, you should review the Denon 3802 and the Onkyo 797 (which will be out in September). The Onkyo is the replacement piece for the 787. The 797 will add DTS-ES discrete, along with a small power upgrade. Also, since the Onkyo is THX Select certified, it supports the "official" THX-SX sound mode (Phantom Menace anyone?). I would heavily consider the type of speakers to be used with either model, as it made a huge difference in my selection of the Onkyo over the Denon with my speaker setup.
Good Luck and happy reviewing! :)
-Marshawn

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
3802 is discrete, and a nice piece. I believe the 2802 also has discrete.
I have the Marantz SR6200 (paid $599), and I am extremely pleased with it. It has a powered 6th channel, however it is a matrixed channel, as is the 7200. Both are 105w X 6, and will decode ES/EX, but only have the output to one channel (you would have to add external amplification with 2 channels to get 2 rears). I listened to mine with the 6th channel hooked up, and I did notice a fair amount of difference, though only on EX/ES material.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 14, 2001 at 01:40 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks