Receiver recommendations for Def Techs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marco Flores, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Marco Flores

Marco Flores Auditioning

This is my first HT system that I am trying to assembly and need some help.
    I am looking at the Def tech bp2006tl for the fronts, 2300 center and the BP2x for surronds. My listening is split between HT and music. I'm looking for a receiver that can handle these speakers without any shutoff problems. Here is a short list of receivers that I was looking at.

Marantz SR 7300
    Denon 3803
    Rotel 1055 - Could be out of my price range

What would be the best reciever for my needs either from these or anyother that you may think will get the job done.

Thanks for the help

2. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

I currently run my BP2002, C2002, BPX and BP8's through a Onkyo TX-DS989 and love the sound. Prior to the 989 I had a Pioneer Elite VSX-07TX and had great results as well.

Before I bought the 989 I demoed a Denon 3802 for a week and was very happy with the sound.

3. IraSWeiss

IraSWeiss Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the Denon 3803 with 2004tl and same other speakers and it sounds excellent, an improvement over my aging Sony STR-DA80ES. I'm having no problems converting from composite to S-video. I chose this over other brands because DefTechs can be hard to drive.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'd suggest selecting the receiver with the features/price point you're looking for.
    DefTech speakers aren't overly bright or warm so matching them to a particular receiver won't reveal huge differences.
    Others will tell you DefTechs tend to be bright but I've never subscribed to that thought. I tend to think "bright" is the most overly-used and misunderstood term in audio.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer