Receiver recommendation

BB69

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Hello, I have been reading though the site, trying to find some information. I have answered some of my basic questions, but I would like a recommendation on a receiver for my setup. Here is what I have currently:

-Samsung 67" DLP projector (a Costco specific model) 1080p capable and two HDMI inputs
-SONY home theater system including DVD player with HDMI out, receiver with two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output
-Comcast HD DVR (coming on Monday)

I bought the SONY system at Costco along with the Samsung because of the HDMI capability. I really would like to have just one cable running from each input to the receiver, and one cable from the receiver to the TV. However, it turns out the SONY receiver I have only passes the audio through to the TV. In order to use the surround sound, I have to run a digital coax to the receiver. Of course, the receiver doesn't have multiple inputs to support both the DVD player and cable box. So, I am resigned to taking the home theater system back to Costco. Not a problem.

What I would like is a recommendation on a receiver, or complete system with DVD player, that will serve as a switch for both video and audio. My goal is to use HDMI cables for both signal quality and to minimize the number of cables. I would like to keep the cost below $1000.

Thanks for your help.
Ken

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I know that Onkyo,Denon,Yamaha have models that will do what you want and in your price range. I was in the same boat as you when shoping around for a new reciever- I believe there will be 1-2 units per company that will do what you want: Denon AVR987 and AVR887 , Onkyo TXSR804, Yamaha HTR-6090 are some options. 3 of them are right at $1000 retail except the 887 is $700 retail. Have fun shopping and good luck.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The least expensive receiver I know of that can read audio from HDMI is the Onkyo SR674. It's $499 at Accessories4less, $529 at B&H, and $539 at J&R. The Onkyo SR804 can also be had for $649 at Accessories4less, $679 at J&R, and $699 at B&H. The Denon 887 can be found at J&R for $699, which is odd because they're charging $799 for the 2307CI which is the exact same model (except the 2307CI has RS232 port). The Yamaha 6090 is $669 at Abe's of Maine and $699 at B&H and J&R.

If you're going to be using the Sony HTIB speakers then I wouldn't bother with upgrading at all... just send both sourced directly to the TV of HDMI and to the receiver via Optical or Digital Coax. You have nothing to gain by sending audio to the receiver over HDMI. It's really not worth it to buy a $500+ reveiver and hook it to HTIB speakers. If you plan on upgrading your speakers soon and this is a first step then that's different. If you had HD-DVD or BluRay it would be different because DD+, DD TrueHD, and DTS-HD are decoded by the player and passed as 5.1 LPCM over HDMI.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgiastevenson