Receiver Recommendation Needed Please w/ Budget*

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Abe_A, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Abe_A

Abe_A Auditioning

Hello,
    I am currently in the market for a new receiver , and I have a budget of $350-400 Canadian. The receiver will be hooked up to my computer and will be used for movies, and music. I already have a 5 speaker setup, so speakers are not needed. My past receiver was the Pioneer VSX1014 which I found to be only acceptable in powering my Monitor Audio B2 speakers. I sold it in hopes of finding a receiver to power my speakers adequately. So far my choices are..

Denon AVR-1705 - $329
    Panasonic XR55 - $375
    Panasonic XR50 - $200
    Yamaha HTR5840 - $350
    Harman Kardon AVR235 (refurb w/warrantee) - $350 (this is a maybe depending on whether they ship to Canada at a reasonable price)
    Prices in Canadian*

Which one if any, would you guys prefer for music and movies? Any user feedback for any of these receivers? And most importantly which one will give ample power for my 6ohm speakers? [​IMG]

Thank you in advance for your time and help. [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

Dang, that is some good pricing if that is in Canadian $$$....

All of these are going to be about the same as the Pioneer 1014 on power output though in all honesty. maybe the Yamaha would give a tad more.

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I agree with John,
    Unless you pretty much double your budget, you will not really top what you had. I am not saying that the Pio is the best, but I am saying that they are all gonna be pretty close. You could be asking for too much in that price range.
    Why do you feel it didn't power your stuff adequately?
    Maybe an outboard amp would have been your answer.
    I know the Pio, 1015 is THX Select II certified, meaning that it is supposed to put out reference level in a 2,000 sq. ft room.
    That's pretty good for a $400.00 (US) receiver.

4. Abe_A

Abe_A Auditioning

Yeah, they are pretty good prices. I have looked around extensively for $400CDN and less. I usually download my movies instead of purchasing DVDs. Most of the time I have to crank it up to 0 to -15 in order to get adequate sound output from my speakers for movies. When I listen closely I hear a bit of static/hissing sometimes and that can't be good for my speakers. I dont think there is enough power from the Pio but thats IMO and for my MA B2. For music it does ok, but I feel the sound is a bit distant, a bit too warm, and just average in the bass department, however the imaging and soundstage is really clear.

I am guessing either the Yamaha or Harman Kardon would be best? Any one else with a opinion on the subject? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks [​IMG]

5. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

The Panny xr55 by a long shot. That all-digital technology yields jaw-dropping detail with zero distortion and bottomless power compared to analog receivers costing several times more. I was shocked to discover that it effortlessly outperformed AND outpowered my beloved NAD separates which would cost about 6 times as much brand new!

I bought it for 2-channel music but found that it does HT extremely well, due to the unbelievable clarity and ample power.

Read up on what all the buzz is about, if anything deserves the term "giant-killer" this is it!

Here's my personal review:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/160136.html

And some other mega-threads on it from different forums:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...1&page=1&pp=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894