Receiver Racking Advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Aug 8, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Recently purchased a Toshiba 50H82. The width of the device is 50" and the width of the area it's in (at the head of a 12x18 room, beside the door) is about 80".

I need SOMETHING to put my receiver, dvd, dvhs, and cable box on (and preferably not the top of the TV).

Does anyone have advice for me?

2. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
  3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Beleive it or not, some of the best stands for AV are kitchen microwave shelfs or carts. they are pretty much the same size as any av stand, most have wheels, and they are usually alot less expensive and available in a variety of colors other than just black. Check your local K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and Target.
    Also, stands made to hold small (19" - 25" tvs are a great size too. I'm currently using a 27" wide, 31" tall, 16" deep, black metal tv stand that i purchased on ebay for $25. I think they also sell the particular stand i'm using at big lots for around the same price. It works particularly well, especially since the shelves have holes for ventilation.
    Here is an image of what i'm using:
    http://link.freepichosting.com/image...pg?x=600&y=400
    Since i'm using a 43" HDTV, and i didn't want to pay $200 for the stand made for it, i'm also currently building a stand w/ a 1/4" glass shelf at the bottom. This will do away w/ my need for the stand i'm currently using, save space which will be critical when i move back to my apartment style dorm at school in a few weeks. I haven't finished w/ the clear coating of the top yet, but here's a picture of what it looks like:
    http://link.freepichosting.com/image...pg?x=600&y=400
    If you are willing to spend alot and want a high class peice of furniture, you should check out some stands by Bel'O Geti (spelling?). They are very very nice, and have several different finishes available, solid hard wood construction, 1/4" glass shelves, and some even have hidden component lighting for a beautiful display. A Bel'O stand will run you from $800 on up to $2000 dollars. Since i'm a college sophomore, this is way out of my price range... for now [​IMG]

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Perhaps I ought to have specified, but I DEFINTELY want to pay less for the rack than for the TV [​IMG].
    Any money saved on the rack goes to a new DVD player.