Receiver question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Taylor, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Eric Taylor

Eric Taylor Agent

Are A/V Receivers known to get hot? Mine seems to get hot when it has been on for a short while. It's not really hot to the touch, but it puts out alot of heat. Just wondered, thanks.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Yes, this is very common. It's the reason why you should never stack anything on top of a receiver and should always leave plenty of room for adequate ventilation.
    M.

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

If you have a High-Current receiver such as Harman Kardon,Denon etc then yes,it is common for these to heat up as you push them.Wouldn't sweat it though,just make sure that everything is well ventalated.If you wish,you can install a small fan at the back of the unit to push air across the back and top.I believe that they are available at Radio Shack.

4. Eric Taylor

Eric Taylor Agent

Okay, is it okay to stack everything with the receiver on top then? I just wondered thanks.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Tim Brewers

Tim Brewers Agent

I have heard of people using these underneith their equipment. Work pretty well I believe. I have a 120mm fan behind my receiver that cools it off.
    Notebook cooler
    Brew

7. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Eric, I would not stand your receiver on top of other equipment. You should get a shelf or a small rack and have the receiver at the top, or in my case I have the receiver beside my other 'stack' of lightweight and not power-hungry equipment (DVD, STB, VCR).