Receiver question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Forsythe, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Josh Forsythe

I am looking at 2 receivers for a home theater system. They are basically the same, except that one provides for 100 watts per channel and the other provides 60 watts per.

The thing that perplexes me is that the 60-watt system is about $100 more expensive. It makes me wonder if the 60-watt system is better... that would be counterintuitive, though (more wattage=good?).

I hope someone can help... I'm just looking for either confirmation that a higher wattage is better (and I'll go with the cheaper system... that's ok), or if the lower wattage provides better sound.

For what it's worth, I'm going to 2 50-watt rear channels, a 100-watt center channel, and 2 75-watt front channels.

Thanks for any help,

Josh

2. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    To even begin making a comparison/recommendation, what 2 receivers are you considering???

3. Josh Forsythe

I'm looking at 2 fairly low-end receivers: the Sherwood RD-7103 (retails for $170) and the Sherwood RD-6106 (retails for $270).

4. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I don't know anything about either of those two models, but my gut would tell me to go with the 6106 with fewer watts.

5. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

According to the Sherwood website, the specs on the two receivers are identical. The wattage rating is a bit misleading. The 60 watt rating is at 8 ohms while the 7103's 100 watt rating is at 6 ohms. This works out to the units being equal. I have never seen either unit, but it appears they are the same and the 7103 is the MUCH better deal.

6. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

After looking at the site myself, I would agree with Jesse.

7. Mike S H

Mike S H Auditioning

That's funny. Why would the Sherwood 7103 be cheaper than the 6106?