Receiver question

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
I currently have a receiver that came with my onkyo HTIB. It is not a bad receiver but since i have made some upgrades. In turn i am looking to upgrade my reciever.
Audio--
For speakers i am currently running:
Ascend Acoustics 340 SE's - F,L,C.
HSU Research VTF-2 - sub
Polk FXI/5- sorrounds
Video--
Sony 60" SXR Projection HDTV
Sony 5-Disc DVD/CD Changer (DVPNC85HB)

I am simply looking for a 7.1 a/v receiver to power these because I would imagine my HTIB receiver is not doing any of these speakers or TV justice. My budget is anywhere from $800. Im not sure what the difference is between HDMI 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 but i know i im pretty anxious so i dont really want to wait for 1.3. I also plan on upgrading to an HD-DVD player. I just want something that is going to sound good and look good hooked up to my current setup. If anyone has any siggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
There are some good reasons to wait for HDMI 1.3. One example is future surround formats (i.e. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio). You can't pass full-bandwidth bitstreams for either format with optical or coax (or prior versions of HDMI, for that matter).

HDMI 1.3 is capable of 10.2 Gbps bandwidth (twice the bandwidth required for 1080i video). Eventually, it will be a big deal. And if we're lucky the HDMI committee won't change the standard AGAIN...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16