receiver question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by theo-john, Jul 16, 2005.

1. theo-john

theo-john Auditioning

As I am new to home theater, I have some questions.
    I now have some Polk R15s and will use those as my fronts for the time being. 2.0
    I need a receiver to use with them but that can be expandable to 5.1 as in the future the polks will become the rears once I have access to more $.
    Inexpensive is the priority now.
    Someone told me I should get something around 100 watts per channel. This is for a small room. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

A budget would help put you in the right direction. There are quite a few choices out there...
    Most on here...will tell you to stay clear of looking at the "watts/per channel" -for depending on the unit...it all varies. Some brands too start thinking about are: Yamaha,Onkyo,Hk.... even a pioneer or sony. Then compare features and budget to figure out what you need/can afford.

I'm sure others will chime in here shortly and offer lots of suggestions as well.

You can do a search on the above mentioned brands- that will give you idea/feedback on them as well.
    Good luck.
    Thomas.

3. theo-john

theo-john Auditioning

I was looking at a Kenwood VR-806S I can get one for under $100 which is what im trying to stay under. Thanks for the info though I am still comparing many receivers.

4. theo-john

theo-john Auditioning

Ok, so if I get a 50 watt/ch receiver what are my limitations to the amount of wattage the speakers can be?