Receiver question--Experts please help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve*MH, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Steve*MH

Steve*MH Stunt Coordinator

Aug 12, 2002
    I have an old Kenwood receiver, the KR-X1000. At its time, it was top-end, but that was 7-8 years ago. It is a THX receiver, but does not have DD or DTS processing. Its main feature though is a set of "main in" and "pre-outs" for all 5 channels. This was designed for addition of extra processing, via external DD component with the main-ins and possible addition of stand-alone amplifier through the pre-outs. Here is the situation: I purchased a Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 disc mega-changer. One of the main pluses of this was that it has built-in DD and DTS process through its 5.1 outputs. The plan was to output those to the main-ins of the receiver to get DD and DTS processing through the player. That works fine, except for one thing that I thought might be a problem: Volume Control! The receiver, due to the fact that it is being by-passed with the main-ins, has no control over the volume coming out of the player. I tried adjusting volume through the player itself, but that doesnt work either. I thought that since it has main-ins, this should work fine. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work and how to control the volume with this situation. I am hoping the answer is not to get a newer receiver, as this one works fine for what I want it to do. Is there somewhat to get volume control with this configuration. Thanks for any insight or help.
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but your best solution is probably a new receiver. The problem is, the "main in" bypasses the preamp section, which is why you cannot control the volume. The only way to fix that would be to pick up a preamp/prepro to handle volume, at which point you might just want to go with a new receiver instead.