Receiver question--Denon 3802 or comparable Yamaha??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stephens, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the market for a new receiver, and I've got a question I hope some of you Yamaha/Denon owners can help me with.

I've been eyeing the Denon 3802 for awhile. I like all the features that it has (DTS-ES, DD EX, Pro Logic II) and want all those in whatever receiver I decide on. From what I understand, Denon is a well respected brand but I've been hearing some negative things concerning their customer service.

I also would like to get a CD player that matches the brand of receiver I get, and I've been hearing several negative things about build quality and longevity of Denon CD players.

Yamaha is, from my knowledge, relatively well respected and has a good track record with customer service. But I don't know anything about the quality of their CD players or how the receivers compare to Denon. The 3802 has 105 watts per channel while the comparable Yamaha receiver (don't have the model number) has only 80.

I'm one of the uninformed about wattage--I realize most people think that more watts is better, but I've always heard different (though I don't know anything about it). Does it really matter in this case?

Any help from any owners or anybody who can offer assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

There are some strong alliances to Yamaha and Denon here at the Home Theater Forum. Both brands offer well-built receivers. I just spoke to a local dealer that carries Yamaha and he said that Yamaha will be coming out with receivers soon with DPL II.

Which brand you purchase will be a personal preference to which sounds better to you and which has the best features for you. Good luck and happy shopping.

3. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

If you like the 3802 (I like mine) then go for it, but I don't see what advantage there is to getting a matching Denon CD player as opposed to some other brand.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have been looking at the Yamaha 1200/2200 vs the Denon 3802 as a pre/pro.

The problem with the Yamaha? Only gives you a 90 Hz crossover.

Denon gives you more flexibility.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Don't rule out the Onkyo DS898 receiver either. 110/channel (7.1) and THX certified (for what it's worth) for just a bit more money.
    I recently did this "new receiver thing" and all my research led me to the Onkyo receiver. I'm a bit biased but at least put that in your options just so you know you looked at all the best options.
    You can get them online for about 1000, cheaper if you know some people [​IMG]
    good luck!
    I almost got the Denon 3802 myself.. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.
    Jim

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I know that the Onkyo 989 has a fan. Does the 898?
    I personally wouldn't buy a receiver with a fan. Makes noise, you can get electromechanical interference with the electronics, etc.
    A well designed receiver should be able to get by on heat sinks and air flow design alone. No fan. My opinion! [​IMG]

7. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

I have no particular brand preference. I am a former Pioneer Elite owner for 2 models of receivers and have switched to the Denon 3802 with no regrets. The only minor issues I have with the 3802 is the 80/100/120 crossover limitation, one coax digital input and only 2 component inputs. Other than that it sounds wonderful and is a far better receiver than the THX Elites that I have owned costing much more. I have no experience with Yamaha.