What's new

Receiver question and a few other ques. (1 Viewer)

SteveWi

Auditioning
Hi all,

I'm going to be upgrading my receiver soon and I would like to get some input on some receivers. First a little about what I have:

Fronts are Definitive BP10
Center is Definitive C1
all the above is about 8yrs old
Sub is Definitive ProSub 100
About 3 yrs old
Rears are the newest about 6 months, I have 3 definitive UIW65 in the back wall.

I currently have a older (3yrs) marantz receiver.

The room is about 22x22 have a 65" mits and sitting area is about 16ft from the tv/fronts.

I'm currently looking at the Marantz 8300 and I read some specs on the new Denon 3805(i think) and that looks like it may be promising, are there any others I should look at that would be a good match for my setup?

Also, I see terms like warm and bright for describing receivers and speakers, from what I hear Marantz and Denon are warm sounding. What would the definitive speakers be considered? What exactly does warm or bright mean in Audio terms??

Sorry for all the questions but I hope I can get answeres for them.

Thanks
Steve

Updated the model numbers on the speakers......

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
Warm = full sounding, more emphasis on lower mids, mid-bass, less emphasis on high frequencies.

Bright= High frequencies crystal clear, almost exaggerated, less emphasis on mids and bass.

Some people think that these characteristics are readily apparent in amps/receivers, others think this is nonsense (amps =amps, watts are watts). double blind studies have been done and this will be debated 'till the end of time (let's not get it started). What is important is how they sound to YOU.

SteveWi

Auditioning
Tim, Thanks for the definitions.

anyone offer some suggestions on some receivers for setup or comment on what I'm currently looking at???

Thanks
Steve

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
If you are considering Denon 3803 then I would like to you to consider HK7200 too.
I did not do any comparision with Rotells but when I compared to Denon, I felt HKs were better for both music and movie watching. Ofcourse thats IMO.

SteveWi

Auditioning
Thanks, I'm actually looking at there new one comming out the 3805. I'll take a look at the hk7200 though.

I would like to stay in $1500 and under range closer to $1000 if I can (i know the Marantz 8300 is around $1600)

I forgot to say that the main use for this receiver will be tv/movies and then music, I would say 80/20.

Steve

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Consider separates. Outlaw would be a great step up for you. I know it maybe a little more than you want to spend, but for around $1800 you are looking at some very nice Outlaw equipment. Check it out Outlaw.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks