Receiver purchase

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MarcCh, Apr 20, 2005.

1. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

I was wondering if someone could give me some reccommendations on a HT receiver purchase. I am looking to spend between 300-500. I am planning on hooking up a Plasma TV, DVD, Satelite Dish, and VCR. I know I need component inputs. Is it better to also have HDMI as well? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am rather overwhelmed with the amount of choices.

Marc

2. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Many have weighed in on this issue. In the range of $300-$500, the Pioneer 1014 or 1015 beats them all in terms of features. Output power and accuracy are on par or better than others in this price range. The 1014 has only two component video inputs, which is better than none, and makes switching sources a little simpler than having to switch your TV inputs when changing sources. Maybe the 1015 has more component video inputs.

The upconversion from composite or S-video to component video is handy, but there is some controversy over how good a job the receiver does with this. I use it to upconvert from the VCR and Laserdisc player, which have no component video outputs, anyhow. My wife can actually use the system with all sources now without having to switch the TV video inputs every time. You always have the option of running the sources used most seldom directly to the TV also, which allows you to switch the TV video inputs only if you want to.

3. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

How does it compare to the panasonic SA-XS70S??

4. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

How doen the Denon AVR-1705 compare to the Panasonic SA-XR70S?

5. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I can't help you as far as a comparison of the Denon and Panasonic receivers, but I will second what Dick said about the Pioneer 1014. You will find some detractors on this forum, but for the money, I think this is a terrific receiver. The biggest pluses for me are the video upconversion (S-video and composite to component) and the automated setup.

I've had it for a few weeks (upgraded from a Pioneer 812) and the difference blew me away.

You can find it for under $400 including shipping online. Do a search for it in this forum, and you will get a ton of information.

6. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

can you explain video up conversion?

7. JimMIT

JimMIT Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I'm no expert but I'll give it a stab.

True video upconversion, as I understand it, coverts incoming signals to a higher resolution. It is only available on a few very high priced receivers. Video upconversion, in the current audio vernacular and as it is used here, is more correctly described as "cross-conversion." It means that all of your video sources, i.e, DVD player, X-Box, etc., may be connected to your receiver by any type of connection, i.e., composite, optical, etc., and you only need a single component cable between your receiver and your video display. It is more of a convenience (one cable, less switching between sources) than anything else. It does nothing to actually improve the incoming signal.

If one of the more knowledgeable members would like to expand/improve/correct my explanation, please do so; I certainly won't be offended -- just further educated.

8. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

If I was going to purchase the pioneer receiver, where do you recommend I do it. Is onecall.com a reputable vendor??

Or do you have others.

I do not want to be hung out to dry if something goes wrong.

9. JimMIT

JimMIT Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I've never purchased from an online dealer but onecall.com enjoys a very good reputation. Another to consider is jandr.com. I think you are wise to purchase from an authorized dealer.

By the way, given your budget, I don't think the previous posters are steering you wrong. The two Pioneers they have recommended have a lot of power and features for the money.

10. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

I got my 1014 from OneCall a few months ago. They called me a week after getting the receiver to make sure I was satisfied. Definitely a good online retailer.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There's a 1014 in the for sale area here. Better move quick, there's already one response.

12. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I've got a Denon 2803 for sale over in the for sale section. If you're interested check it out.

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'd buy the newer 1015 if you are going the Pioneer route.
    It has 1 more.

14. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I will disagree with that. I didnt purchase the 1014 just because of that. I wouldnt have used any of the inputs and would have had to use my switch. I figure if I am gonna buy a new receiver it best have 3 inputs. so basically none is better than 2. either way its useless to most as most people have a HDTV receiver, xbox and dvd player.

get the 1015 if your gonna buy a pioneer. why in this day and age they are still only using 2 component inputs on alot of mid range receivers is beyond me. very frustrating when your in a certain price range.

I now own the Onkyo TX-SR602

15. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Ralph,

I guess you answered your own criticism of the 1014. Evidently Pioneer agreed that two component video inputs was inadequate and changed it to three on the 1015, which is the replacement for the 1014.

Meanwhile, those of us with the 1014, 812, 912, or other "older" Pioneer receivers with two component video inputs have to deal with this problem by using the two inputs for most-used sources usually DVD player and satellite or Tivo and using the TV monitor's input switches for the other video components using component video connections. Another option is to use the upconversion capability with non-HD sources like your VCR. This is what I do. Or, a separate video switch can be used. This is not any handier than using the TV for switching those other inputs.

16. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I also got mine from One Call, and my experience was fine. The description of the upconversion as "cross-conversion" is accurate-- there is no improvement in video quality from composite converted to component (that I can see). It is, however, extremely convenient to not have to switch the inputs on both the receiver and the projector.

As for the two component inputs vs. three issue, you definitely have to get the receiver that will do everything that you need it to do. Since I only need two component inputs (HD and DVD), the 1014 works great for me.

I just looked at One Call-- the 1014 is $350 plus $35 shipping, compared to $450 with free shipping for the 1015. If this deal was around when I bought mine, I probably would have gone with the 1015.

17. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    One thing to consider....

I was looking at the 1015 at BB last night, and noticed that it put off a great deal of heat, even though it was not driving anything. When I placed my hand on the top vent to gauge the heat output, I almost yanked it away. If you do get the 1015, make sure you have it very well ventilated. While my old Marantz or my current Denon do generate a minimal amout of heat while idling (barely discernable), they only get a little hotter when driving the speakers (the Denon's heat sink is amazing; after two hours of shaking the rafters, it only gets luke warm!). Of course, it could be that the morons at BB (or some snot-nosed brat who thought it would be funny) left the volume all the way up with the mute switch on....

Another thing is that we all know how easy it is to add features to an IC chip cheaply. Don't go on the number of features alone. Again, I have no experience with the Pioneers, and I'm sure others here can correct me where I'm off-base. Based on what I found about the heat, it appears that Pioneer may have skimped on the sink (and who knows what else?). Research the actual components (I've heard that the 1014 is a debadged Elite, in which case I'm all wet here), and more importantly, try to audition each with the speakers you are looking at (in your home, if possible). I don't think you can lose with either the Pioneer 1015 (with good ventilation?) or a Denon 1705/1905. Good luck!