Receiver Purchase Options Opinions, Please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ozar, Jan 27, 2002.

1. ozar

ozar Agent

My First Post Here...

Hey guys and gals, I'm ready to purchase my first "real" AV receiver and am comparing the Onkyo TX-DS898 to the Denon AVR-4800. After spending several days reading various reviews and reading posts from these forums and others, I'm more confused than ever.

Do any of you know of any real advantage to one over the other? I'm sure they are both very good, but I plan to purchase tomorrow morning, so any quick replies with some opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all responses...

Bob

I forgot to add that I'm looking at $75 more for the Denon, so price isn't really relative.

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Well, from what I have heard, the 4800 is an awesome receiver, but it lacks PLII. The amp in it is top notch. If you want just DD and DTS and stereo SOUND, then by all means go with the 4800. If you want the latest and greatest technology of hometheater, then go with the 898. I own a 797 which is almost like an 898 but with out 7.1, it only has 6.1 and I really love the sound.

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I'm not sure what the price difference is but maybe you should check out the Denon 4802.

By the way, welcome to the forum, you'll love it

4. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

If you like (or think you might like) multi-channel music from your CD's, then I would highly recommend looking at a receiver with Dolby Pro Logic II. This means the 4802 in the Denon line. It lists for about $500 more than the 4800.

5. ozar

ozar Agent

Okay, thanks for the replies Kyle, Richard, & John. [​IMG]
    I have been considering the 4802, but the price jump is a bit more than what I really wanted to spend. On the other hand, I really enjoy great sound when watching my movies. I'll give it all some more thought, then in the morning, I'll make up my mind.
    Thanks again to each of you for your opinions, and thanks for the welcome.

6. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I would go with the Denon 4800. DPII isn't worth the $500 price hike.

7. ozar

ozar Agent

Update: Well, I wound up going with the Onkyo TX-DS898 although it was very tempting to go with the Denon 4800. After I've had some time to play around with it, I'll report back to let you all know how I like it. Thanks again to all of you for your time and input. [​IMG]

8. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Good , I had the 898 and 3802 on my final list. Went with the 3802 because of cost/deal at the moment.[​IMG]

9. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

DPLII MAY NOT BE WORTH $500, BUT WHEN COUPLED WITH THE 2 EXTRA AMPS, AND THE ATKIS REMOTE...WOW!!!!