Receiver Problems....Help/Suggestions Needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul E. Fox II, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Hi there guys and gals!
    I've been pretty lucky the past 3 years. My Yamaha RX-V995 has never, ever given me a speck of trouble. That seems to be coming to an end however.
    Everytime we have a power outage, and those are frequent here in stickville, ALL of my presets are cleared and reset. This means that for every little power bump, I have to go in and completely re-balance my speakers and such.
    Now, armed with that information, what are my options? Is there a small battery that keeps a CMOS chip powered thus retaining my memory settings? Is this something I could replace myself (the warranty has LONG SINCE EXPIRED so that's not really a valid concern)? Those of you with Yamaha receivers please let me know if you've ever experience anything like this and what you did to fix the problem. I'm heading over to the Yamaha website to see if they can be of any assistance right now.
    The receiver still plays flawlessly and sounds great so I want to keep it forever[​IMG]!

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Paul: Most likely the receiver has a memory circuit that is powered by a capacitor. Most of these circuits can hold the settings for a week or two. When the capacitor is finally discharged, the settings go back to out-of-box defaults.

It's a safe bet that the capacitor or the memory circuit itself has failed. Unless you're really handy around this kind of circuitry, you're going to have to break down and pay someone to fix it. It could be pricey so I'd definitely get an estimate first...

3. Larry_P

Larry_P Auditioning

Some receivers have rechargeable CMOS batteries and some don't. So you might have a non recharchable CMOS battery that went dead. See if you can find it and replace it.

4. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm HOPING that it's a CMOS type battery and NOT the Cap! I could probably re-do the cap myself, but I don't want to take that chance!
    I guess I'll have to go looking under the hood this weekend[​IMG]!