What's new

Receiver problem (1 Viewer)

dveeder

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrick
Sorry for the wall of text but I am going to try to include every bit of info. I am basically an audio novice, however I am a tier 2 tech support lead at an ISP and have very good troubleshooting skills, so I think I know WHAT the issue is, but dont know how to fix it. I have a 37" Hyundai LCD TV with HDMI inputs, but the speakers crack so I have all of the audio running through a SONY STR-DG710 6.1 Receiver. For components I have:

Computer (audio only with an phono from my sound card to analog to the receiver so I can game in surround sound) TV input
XBOX 360 - HDMI video 2
PS3 - HDMI BD
Wii - video 1 (I had to rig this one bc I had the same issue. I have the composite audio into the reciever but i have the video straight into the TV)

I got a HD DVR recently from my cable company. I tried plugging this where the PS3 is bc, face it, 1 HDMI cable is easier then 5 component cables. I got picture but no audio. So i tried plugging it up component into the SAT input. I got audio but no picture.

I think the issue is SONY has the reciever set up to HDMI as default, but for the life of me, I cannot find the option to turn on composite or component video

**EDIT** My parents have the 7.1 upgrade to this model and I had the same problem when I hooked up theirs.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Derrick,

That receiver is what is known as a "pass-thru" receiver. This means the HDMI signal only "passes through" the receiver and audio/video is not processed, aside from switching it from one input to the next. So you cannot get audio from the HDMI input, only video. You must utilize one of the optical/coax digital inputs for audio. Assign the proper input to the DVR input, then connect the proper cable.

Pass-thru receivers were an interim measure when HDMI first came out. They allow the use of HDMI cables, but the receiver doesn't have the HDMI circuitry to process HDMI audio, such as the HD audio formats from Blu-ray. What is unfortunate is that Sony advertised this receiver as "optimized for Blu-ray," which couldn't be further from the truth.

dveeder

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrick
I thought i remember the girl at bestbuy telling me I didn't want the cheaper ones because they were passthrough (This receiver was $400). Ive never had a problem with my PS3 or 360 Elite, which are HDMI only, but that still makes it strange that the component video wont work.

dveeder

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrick
After reading some reviews online, it is pass-through but it also says: "HDMI - "active intelligence" 100% uncompressed video. Transmits video and audio via 1 HDMI cable: 2 IN / 1 OUT"

dveeder

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrick
I used my advanced troubleshooting of "unplug everything and reset it" and that seemed to work. getting video and audio through HDMI now, but since the receiver has only 2 HDMI, no more PS3. :(

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If you are getting audio via the HDMI, then it isn't a pass-through receiver, despite what they are calling it. All the pass-through receivers I've seen have no HDMI audio. But this is Sony, so who knows.

Also, if I were you, I'd put the HD DVR on the component input, with a coax/optical audio. Then put the PS3 back on HDMI. There is really nothing to be gained by having the DVR cable box on HDMI. The best you can do with the DVR is 1080i/720p video and DD 5.1 audio. These formats can be transmitted via component video and coax/optical audio, with no real quality lost. Plus, the DVR has no copy protection, so using HDMI is basically a wash. However, the PS3 will greatly benefit from HDMI because an HDMI connection will allow upconversion of DVD, plus full 1080p video and HD audio output from Blu-rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks