What's new

Receiver preferences - Pioneer 850, Denon 2802, Harman Kardon 320, other? (1 Viewer)

Steve & Karen

Stunt Coordinator
first time buyer, 16x13 room going with Def Tech PowerMonitors 700 or 900 L/R with Def Tech 2300 Center & 1.2 surrounds, no separate powered subwoofer (that's why the PowerMonitor)... looking for Receiver in the price range of Denon 2802, Harman Kardon 320, or Denon 2802... or other... any preferences... will be for music not just HT, so would like to warm the sound given the Def Techs.

Any preferences or suggestions out there

-Steve

Jason_Hil

Auditioning
well, in that price range, i believe i would suggest the denon due to it's full sound in stereo mode. But, as i found out. Spending more on the reciever will make your speakers sound so much better. I suggest you listen to the denon in 2 channel stereo mode, and then listen to the B&K 305 reciever if possible in 2 channel mode. I know this reciever is out of your price range(3,000) but it still gives you an idea of what a high current reciever can do to the sound of your speakers.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I personally liked the sound of the AVR320 over the 2802, but that's just individual preference. I'd suggest you go and give these receivers on your short-list a good listen, as they offer pretty different sonic presentations.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Steve, trust me on this one. With Def Tech, I think you should go with Yamaha. They should be a wonderful, wonderful match with each other. Trust me.

Also, if you get the PM700, go with either a clr2002, clr2500, or PM700 center channel. If you get the PM900, go with either a clr2000, clr3000, or PM900 center channel.

Good luck!

Steve & Karen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input.

I was leaning to the Harman Kardon because of the warmer sound (viz the Def Tech PowerMonitors)good quality over all, easy set-up, and possibly going with HK DVD-50...

...but then was advised by HK that there could/might/might not be a problem due to the Def Tech. PM's rated at "4-8 ohm" and that the HK-320 might go into saftey shutdown mode...

but that in turn this could be taken care of with buying an additional "impedence matching box." Any thoughts on this...?

-Steve

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
The new Yamaha's are NOT bright!!! Actually, I have heard that they have a warmer sound than the previous generation Yamaha. The Def Tech's are also not bright (IMHO). They should sound fairly neutral.

Steve, is it possible for you to listen to some DT speakers with Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, etc?

There is someone at AR who has been servicing audio equipment for over 50 years, and he says that Yamaha reliability is top-notch.

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
When you guys say that the new yamaha's are "too bright" what are you refering too. I am wondering because I want to check out the new rx-v630 that's supposed to come out this month. Thanks in advance.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Some people considered the older Yamaha receivers to be "bright" because they did not roll off the highs, which could have resulted in excessive high frequency energy when paired with certain speakers. Even so, I have a DSP-A1 (with Def Techs) and I have not found it to be bright. Clean, clear, and crips highs, but not bright. Now, the newer Yamaha's apparently have a warmer sound to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks