What's new

Receiver Powering Off (1 Viewer)

Jim Rondeau

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and today after using it for a while it powered off. I went to power it back on and after a couple of seconds it would power itself off again. I unhooked each speaker and checked each time with the same result. I've got everything removed from the receiver, but it keeps powering off. Any ideas?

Thanks.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Just an opinion, but it sounds like you are tripping the thermal protection circuit. In that case, you probably have a dead short somewhere, most likely the power supply, and there's so much current going through it that the reciever would catch on fire if it weren't for a little thermostat-type device which cuts off the power. You relly need to get it repaired, either that or junk it and get something new. Just think, perfect justification for an upgrade! :D
Either that or you've blown a capacitor and the thing's gone unstable, but generally that's a flash and bang the people around the block know about.

Kamil_k

Grip
You should also consider the possibility that one or more of your speaker connections is bad/loose/broken. I had a binding post on a speaker break without my knowledge and the receiver kept shutting itself off. Fixing the post solved the problem.
Check all speaker cabling and connections. If a strand from a positive is loose and touching negative (for example; this is one fo many things you should look for) then the avr will shut off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks