Receiver power vs. Speaker handling power

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Curtis, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Mike Curtis

Mike Curtis Auditioning

I'm looking at the HK AVR 7200 receiver. I have paradigm monitor 3 v2. According to the paradigm website, the suitable amplifier range for the 3's is 15 to 150 wants and the maximum input power is 100% watts. I think these specs are for the V3 speakers. I'm making the assumption the numbers on my speakers are similar.

Anyway, does the 7200 have too much power for the Monitor 3's? Or is there too much power if I turn the volume up too loud? The other speakers in my system are old Infinity's that I hope to upgrade in the future.

Thanks,

2. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Mike - the 7200 would be just fine. It's generally better to have more power than less - less is when clipping is more likely to occur and that can lead to bad things for your gear (electronics & speakers). It would be very unlikely that you'd turn the 7200 up so far that you'd overpower those speakers, because your ears would be more unhappy than the speakers and much sooner if you were in the same room.

I drive my fronts w/ a separate amplifier rated at 250W RMS minimum per channel. My speakers will never see all those watts coming at once - I've used that amp to provide adequate power and plenty of clean headroom (lower distortion, etc. when running at lots lower than rated power). I'll never, ever be able to be in the same room and drive the speakers w/ the amp's maximum rated power and that's a good thing. The 7200 will do pretty much the same for you - it's got lots of power and will provide plenty of headroom before distortion will start to creep up. There's just no reason to turn the big knob all the way around to the right - that's when bad things happen.

3. Mike Curtis

Mike Curtis Auditioning

Thanks for the info Tim.