Receiver power? Use suggestions needed..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by brac, May 15, 2005.

1. brac

brac Agent

I am in the process of trying to reconfigure my system I have 2 receivers but am unsure of which to use.

I just sold my 601 series II's and am on the market for a set of Klipsch KLF-20's or 30's.

I will upgrade sometime but as of now I have a set of cerwin Vega bookshelf speaks as rears. L-7

and I have but am not currently using a boston acustics 404v center channel speak.

the units I have are a Kenwood KR-V9020 giving 130watts per channel front and 20 Watts per channel rear. This system also has rear pre-out, and center pre-out. (however I don't have a stereo or mono amp)

The other unit is a JVC RX-9000VBK that is "for stereo operation" 120 watts per channel at 8 ohms and same at 4 ohms.

for surround operation fronts are 100 watt rear is 100 and center is 100 watts all at 8 ohms.

also the KLF speakers I am looking at are BiAmpable, is there any point in doing anything with that or does it not matter at this effenicy?

any help is welcomed.. What to buy what to sell what to keep what to use any special way to use it......
    Thanks

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Brac. Welcome to HTF.

First - HT audio is different from music. With music you try and fill the corners of the next room with sound. But for HT, you surround yourself with an array of speakers focused on a few central locations.

Of your two recievers, the JVC looks to be the superior unit for both music and HT.

For HT use, your first goal is to get 3 nearly identical front speakers. Mixing a different center with the L/R's is usually a bad idea. When sounds move from speaker to speaker - they will sound different with different brands of speakers and ruin the illusion.

I am un-able to find specs on your Kenwood, but I did see something that indicated it was ProLogic only. ProLogic is fine (I have listened to many movies by accident in ProLogic mode [​IMG] ), but you would rather have DD and DTS so the JVC again looks like the clear winner.

Hope this helps.

3. brac

brac Agent

OK, That helps me choose a direction. I will start looking for a KLF-C7 for a center but I can't figure out what would be the matching rears?
    any suggestions would be welcome...
    Thanks