Receiver power supply?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marc*F, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

I am from Australia and wanting to import a receiver from America. I have since found out from a Pioneer receiver I was about to order needed a step-down transformer as American power is 110v and Australian is 240v....But I have been told some receivers have a switch from 110v to 240v and then i would just need to change the plug....how common is this power supply switch on receivers in the US? brands/models?

I'm hoping Denon or Harmon Kardon might have the switch instead of me having to buy a step-down transformer.....thanks [​IMG]

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Those transformer switches are pretty scarce on American products. Is there a reason why you don’t get a product designed for your part of the world? That would certainly make the most sense.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

Importing a receiver from America is nearly 50% cheaper [​IMG] Do many receivers have a switch to change the voltage from 110v to 240v on them?

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Prowl the websites. Many manufacturers, including Denon, Marantz, H/K, etc. post images of the back panel of their machines on their website. That'll answer your question in an instant.

5. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

Would a step-down convertor add any sort of noise both electrical to the receiver and sound wise? ...

6. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Marc- Most all audio products ordered through military exchanges have the dual power switch. IMO these are special order products unless purchased overseas to begin with. The downside-these products do not come with a standard warranty. Also the wait can be several weeks. If you are willing to accept these conditions, I'd suggest you contact a dealer who does a lot of business in the tourist trade who by the way, may have these in stock or if not, may be willing to order for you. Dealers in port cities such as LA,SF,NY, etc. would probably be your best bet. If you are successful, let us all know as this question pops-up several times a year. Good luck

7. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

I think I might give a step-down transformer a go as they aren't too expensive...

Here are some specs from the receiver...

Power requirements: AC 120V, 60hz
    Power consumptions: 300W, 420 VA

Not sure what wattage transformer i need?