Receiver Power Ratings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chuck Schilling, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

In one or other threads in this forum, a link to an online site with true power ratings by receiver manufacturer and model was posted. I've searched for the last hour or so and can't find this link. Can anyone help me with a pointer to this site? I'd be ever grateful!

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

3. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Chris, Thanks! That's exactly it. I'm rethinking an order I placed for the Denon AVR-3803 in favor of the HK 7200.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well it looks like the Denon comes close to specs, about 15 watts behind on each channel. An example is the 3801 which supposed to do 105w x7 but does about 92 watts with 5 channels and 85 with 6 powered.

The HK 7000 is the closest to the 7200 and is rated at 100 watts but delivers an amazing 113 watts.

Unless you are powering very unifficient speakers or have a HUGE room I wouldn't worry about the difference between the two.

It's nice that the HK has that extra power but the Denon is still a decent unit.

I love HK but it all depends what you want. Take a look at more than just power ratings, also look at features. The HK 7200 is a great piece though, wish I had one.